iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hipped roof for small frame.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 05, 2024, 09:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I'm designing a small timber frame, let's say 10'x12' for now, and I'd like to try a hipped roof. I see a big problem which is having the plates and ties at the same height.  This creates a three way joint, and also interference of the brace pegs. I also don't know much about compound roof joinery, which is my primary interest in learning this roofing style. Has anyone here done a hipped timber frame roof? Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doc henderson

@Jeff built a pavilion.  It had gable ends but did have a three-way joint.  I will try find the thread or he may chime in.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

There are 3 articles by Ed Levin in the red book on hip and valley layout. I can scan if needed, it has been a long time since I read them.
Anymore I draw any complex roof framing in sketchup, make it work there and then roll it around and pull any measurements and angles from the drawing. I was taught better but it sure is easier. Well, I'm back for a break from a job just up the road, retrieving a forgotten drawing on a simple porch... oops (it is cold and windy so there is that  ffcheesy)

Dave Shepard

Thanks, I have the Red Book. I'll have to dig it out tonight. 

I'm not worried about designing a three way joint, I just don't like them.  :wink_2:
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

I was cogitating today. Fine HB did an article that featured a steel , basically 3" bladed framing square with ~4' legs in each direction on top of the plate in a stick framed cabana. A pair of vertical ears welded on each side of where the hip passes between them and is lagged. This created a tension ring for a vaulted interior. Structurally, the ties in a hip are diagonal from hip to hip. Without them, that is the thrust direction, hips pushing into the corner joint.

Or, design it as a 3D truss, then the wall ties can be dropped and the hip ties/bottom chords are up on the plates.

Thank You Sponsors!