iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID Reference Book

Started by tmoody052000, February 10, 2021, 06:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoody052000

What book would you guys recommend for identifying trees in North America?  I live in Montana and we have mostly have pine, fir, larch and spruce.  Occasionally I might find some maple or oak that somebody wants removed from their yard. 

Otis1

National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Trees of North America

Has color pictures of leaves, bark, twigs, seeds/ cones and range maps. 

Wattwood

Peterson's Field Guide to Western Trees.
LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

zippski

I have several books on tree identification that I regularly reference.  I am not a huge fan of the Peterson guides. My go-to book for years has been "Trees in Canada" which has just published a second edition.  All of the range maps in the west include Montana and other northern and midwest US states.  Beautiful large color photos of both trees AND bark, which is rare.

Here's a link to an expensive copy on the Lee Valley website that has page views.  It's probably on Amazon for less

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/garden/books-and-dvds/10087-trees-in-canada-revised-edition?item=49L1012&utm_source=free_google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyJOBBhDCARIsAJG2h5dLQ7JRcr-0McCjIN9Z9vEjHKL2ilTICIT-ljVx4L62xqZ_nkYSRpYaAkI9EALw_wcB

Leigh
zippski
Leigh
zippski

Wattwood

Peterson's is old school for sure but for many of us they were the go to guide back in the day and did their job well. Should be easy to find used copies. Rob
LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

Skip

The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees (Eastern Region) is what I use  :P .

SwampDonkey

The Audubon books work well. :)

My first book was "Native Trees of Canada". But soon found out it was not used at University, but was used at Forest Ranger School. In university we had to use 'Textbook of Dendrology' because of the scientific terms, not just the Latin names. Besides an old English perfectionist for a professor. He thought he was going to trip me up one day on maple ID. Was it sugar maple or Norway? I was prepared, as I knew Norway had milky sap on the leaf petiole when fresh picked. But I didn't win them all. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mainepatriot

Forest Trees of Maine: Handbooks & Guides: Publications: Division of Forestry: Maine ACF

This is the one I use.  A state forester gave me a copy years ago, you can still buy it.  Nice spiral binding on it which is handy.

Clark

If you're in NW Montana you've got your hands full learning the various conifers. I worked there for a brief spell and I think there were ~15 conifers to be aware of. Very interesting country to work in. 

I don't have a specific book recommendation but something that applies to Montana or the northern Rockies would be a good start.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

tmoody052000

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 28, 2021, 04:56:36 PM
The Audubon books work well. :)

My first book was "Native Trees of Canada". But soon found out it was not used at University, but was used at Forest Ranger School. In university we had to use 'Textbook of Dendrology' because of the scientific terms, not just the Latin names. Besides an old English perfectionist for a professor. He thought he was going to trip me up one day on maple ID. Was it sugar maple or Norway? I was prepared, as I knew Norway had milky sap on the leaf petiole when fresh picked. But I didn't win them all. :D
I have purchased the book 'Native Trees of Canada'.  It is so nice that my wife wants it out as a coffee table book.  Great recommendation.  Thank you.

firefighter ontheside

I got this book about 35 years ago called, "Knowing your Trees".  It has I would guess most north american species in it.  It is still available on Amazon.  I have used it a lot in that time.

I also have a much bigger book called "Silvics of North America, Conifers"   There's a lot of useful info in there too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

I'd like to bring this back up for a little more discussion. I am always searching for a better book that allows me to locate a tree ID quicker, instead of reading for 30 minutes or more. I just ordered a copy of the Smithsonian book. I have a handful of various field guides all around the house and shop, but I seem to need to consult 3 books for an evening to be sure. I need to step up my skills in the field back to what they were when I was 15 and could identify just about every tree I came across (Except the ornamentals which could grow in the strangest places). (It was an obsessive hobby then.)
I am looking at a book called "Bark: A Field guide to trees of the Northeast". This one leans more heavily into the bark ID and is something I need for winter identification since there is little to go by besides bark, tree shape, branch formation, and maybe some buds. I wonder if anyone uses this one? It's not cheap.
Also, what book helps you ID a tree easiest?

I love books, never have enough, but I have to watch how many I buy. It gets expensive and storage is already an issue. I have hundreds all over the house.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Quote from: mainepatriot on March 24, 2021, 09:16:54 AM
Forest Trees of Maine: Handbooks & Guides: Publications: Division of Forestry: Maine ACF

Yes, I have bought 3 copies so far.
Kinda a shock the first time I ordered one. I forgot how I did it, but they sent me the book, and asked me to pay for it.  :o   ???   State of Maine must trust me.
I only am interested on what is on my land.
I also have Shrubs of the Northern New England Forest by Michael L. Cline. This has really been a great help to me. I bought it at Fryeburg Fair. A google will bring it up too. I have used the shrub book more than the tree one.
Thanks to my Father I knew most of the trees on my land.
I went to an event that the cooperative extension was putting on and got the copy of the trees of Maine there for free!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!