iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any good beginners forestry books?

Started by Zero, April 07, 2007, 05:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Great website, I have learned alot already.  I am graduating from highschool in a couple of months and hope to pursue a career in forestry.  Are there any good introductory books for forestry?  Anything I can read to better prepare me for college?  Our library stinks and I could only find 1 or 2 books that pertained to forestry.  The one I checked out was from the Sierra Club and  it seemed alittle too "treehuggerish". Thanks for the help.

WDH

Try a college textbook on Forest Ecology.  You can order one on-line. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jim king

If I were you I would start asking the foresters on this forum whatever comes to your mind.  A lot more experience  here than in a college I am sure. In school you will have one professor, here there are dozens.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. Poke around in the archives (like the "Ask a Forester" board) and you will gain a lot of info. As well said, there are a lot of Prof's in the FF.  :)
Are you close to a larger library, or a branch library where you can order books and then get them from the branch?

Where are you interested in going on to Forestry School? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

For a look into the heart and soul of forestry, read "The Sand County Almanac".  Then look into forestry books on Amazon, read broadly on the subject, to narrow a focus and you will find it difficult to select what career in forestry  you might follow.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

When I was in High School we could get books from the state library.This was the days before computers really got going.Should be real easy now if it is offered at your school.Welcome to the forum,Zero.Keep on posted on your college route.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rocky_Ranger

You got a pretty good school of forestry just down the road at Ft. Collins.  Lot's of different careers in forestry to choose from and one heck of a research center.  I know a few of the profs there if you are interested.........
Not quite as much wind as southern Wyoming but more hippies (is there still such a thing as a hippy?).
RETIRED!

Zero

Thanks for the advice.  To answer beenthere's qeustion, I am originally from West Virginia and I would Llike to go back there to the University or to Glenville State College.  For the the first year of college I am going to go to a Christian college and get all the freshman 101 stuff done.  Rocky, I dont know if there is any more hippies but there is still an overabundance of wind in Southern Wyoming!

WDH

TR,

The Sand County Almanac is a true classic and one of my all time favorites that still graces my book shelves.  That sure brings back good memories.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!