iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticking Logs?

Started by Andy White, June 12, 2013, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

This morning about dawn, I went out to the mill, and had a cup of coffee while wife got ready for work. As I listened to the quiet, I began to hear a TICK,TICK,TICK. I went to where it sounded like it was coming from, and it sounds like it is in three SYP logs on the deck. Is there something eating my logs, or is it my imanination? If it is bugs, what do I need to do to get them out of my wood? I have 4 nice red oak logs next to the pine, do I need to move them?
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

beenthere

QuoteIs there something eating my logs

Yes!  They make a lot of noise when doing it too.  :snowball:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Red Clay Hound

You'll probably find some big grubs under the bark when you saw the pine logs.  I don't think they'll bother the oak logs.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

grweldon

I've heard this noise coming from my SYP logs as well.  I figured that the noise came from southern pine beatles...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

mesquite buckeye

We get talking mesquite logs too. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

swampbuggy

I use Sevin spray on my pine. It stops the beetles from jumping to the good logs and trees on my property.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Delawhere Jack

I heard some in some SYP that someone dumped on my BIL's farm. You could hear them 50 feet away. Milled one of the logs and burned all the slabs pronto! Big old grubs, nearly the size of my thumb.

thecfarm

They really make a racket on the pine limbs too. Sometimes I can see the sawdust falling out of the limbs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

When they get really bad, you don't even need lube when you saw.   :o :D

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The sound is their jaws snapping shut.  One of the insects is the OLD HOUSE BORER which only likes new wood, esp. Pine.  Because they are likely into the wood, a spray will not affect them, as the spray does not penetrate the wood.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

Sawyer worms have to eat too.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Ours are a flathead borer/longhorn beetle. The adults start partying moments after a tree comes down. Guess they can smell the stress. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

kelLOGg

My barn used to talk to me, too  ;D. As I sat and relaxed I could hear the chomp, chomp. When I needed to clean oil paint from paint brushes, I used diesel and then poured it where ever I saw frass. Its been 30 year since I built it and they are gone now.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

woodmills1

the sawdust you say you see falling out I call frass.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WoodenHead

I noticed some of the wee tiny fellows (as Magicman has pictured) today under some bark.  I'm going to have to finish up my pine very soon or my boards are going to look like swiss cheese.  Only 10-12Mbft to go.   :) 

drobertson

I'm wondering if the grubs that MM showed turn into the gray speckled with black, flying prehistoric looking beetles?  Lots of ticking on our pine as well, these things will attack too!  their wings actually split into bi-wings, they come right at you,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

Not if you bash em with a 2 X 4 first. ;D

They are a little faster than a scorpion. Two points each instead of one. ;D ;D 8)

Andy White

David
You may be on to something there about those bugs. My logs are still ticking, but not as much as before, and I was attacked several times yesterday by what you described, while using the leaf(sawdust) blower. I need to cut logs soon, and eradicate those pests.
I wonder if they are looking for other logs, or a place to lay eggs????                         Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

isawlogs

There are a few precautions one can take to avoid having the infestation.

One is the have a constant spray of water on you're pine logs.
The other that I know is to remove the bark before you hear the munching.

Remove all the bark as you saw from the boards as they will lay eggs in that little bit of bark and you will hear them sawing away.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is common to find that there is only one generation of the so-called OLD HOUSE BORERS.  The reason is that the insects leave the logs at different times (the holes you see are zit holes), and so mom and pop can never meet outside the log to begin a new family.  Even so, while living independently within the log, they can do a lot of internal damage with their tunnels, so prompt drying over 130 F will kill them before they do too much drilling.  They can survive in drier wood, unlike other insects in pine.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Sixacresand

Logs with bark and stacked lumber seem to always have insects.  It's kind of strange to me that if I dig through 2 year old sawdust piles, I never see any signs of life.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Andy White

I found a new debarker for my TICKING LOGS!  It took him about five minutes to strip this log, and eat the worms that were making my logs tick. I guess I will start calling myself a Green Sawyer, because it's good for the wildlife in my neighborhood!

I tried twice to get closer, but he wanted to eat alone.

Delawhere Jack

"Ticking grubs, Nevermore." Quoth the raven.........  :-\

Andy White

Delawhere Jack
Gotta love material by E.A.P. Helps my dark side.     Andy

Thank You Sponsors!