iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white pine

Started by trapper, July 05, 2020, 08:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

when is the proper time to remove a couple of the lower branches on white pine in my yard to make mowing easier? branches about 1 1/2 in thick.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

nativewolf

when they hit your head 
Liking Walnut

Clark

SAF Certified Forester

Don P

One rule of thumb I was taught was never remove more than 1/3 of the crown.

Ianab

I don't think "when" matters as much has how. Cut the branch just clear clear of the "collar" or bulge around the base of the branch. Too far out, and the stub takes too long to heal over, too close to trunk and the scar is bigger than needed (and also takes time to heal over). The quicker the tree can seal the wound the less chance of rot getting started. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Clark

When matters due to white pine blister rust. So the dormant season is best.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

saskatchewanman

Quote from: Clark on July 05, 2020, 09:00:32 PM
When matters due to white pine blister rust. So the dormant season is best.

Clark
I wonder if in really cold areas, autumn or early winter pruning makes the exposed tissues more susceptible to cold damage. I have no real hard knowledge on this. Any opinion or thoughts?

saskatchewanman

I've always avoided pruning just before winter out of fear that it may induce winter damage. However, this is the period I have the most time to prune. Perhaps I have been unnecessarily cautious.

GullyBog

best advice I've heard is prune when the knife is sharp
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

thecfarm

I have a lot of eastern white pine on my land. I have cut branches off many of the scrub ones many times, spring, summer, fall and winter. Never had a problem, yet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

Another rule is to cut it off out a bit from where your final cut will be so it doesn't tear by the cut, then when you make the final cut it will be neat and clean.

peakbagger

The pruning technique showed to me long ago was do a short cut under the branch just outside the collar and then cut from the top, the first cut stops the tearing. 

I never heard any recommendations for time of year.  

Ron Scott

The best time of year to prune or trim pine is after the trees have "hardened off" in the fall. Our rule of thump here is generally the period from September 15-April 1st. Its a good winter work project.
~Ron

maple man

Sorry I don't know how to quote individual posts. 

The comment about pruning season as regards blister rust seems odd. I thought blister rust spores enter the tree through the the needles not through wounds. On the other hand if you see brown "flags" in branches pruning off the branch can keep the rust from reaching the trunk.

Thank You Sponsors!