iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 23, 2021, 09:34:19 AMSomething I'm starting to bring in and develop a market for. Can you identify this tree today? The Wizard of Crap

My WAG is Australian Pine

tule peak timber

No on the Aussie pine, but your logic trail is good............... :)
I cannot believe that with the numbers of these trees around that no one has developed a market for it yet.
Several years ago I started looking at Ca. orchard walnut for uses other than gun-stocks and those markets have REALLY taken off for me.I hope this "trash" wood will do the same. Cheers WOC
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

doc henderson

any close up pics of the leaves?  can I buy a vowel?   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wattwood

LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

zinc oxide

tule peak timber

Bingo,,,,,Tamarisk or Tamarix - a non native tree also known as salt cedar. Let's see what we can do with it.

KEC

Regarding Yellow Birch, I have seen some huge ones in the Adirondack Forest Preserve and the bark on those very mature trees is much different than on younger trees.

caveman

Quote from: caveman on May 22, 2019, 07:25:21 AM

Today's tree of the day.  Often these will be found growing on sand hills along with longleaf pine and sand pine.  
I figured resurrecting this thread would be appropriate for today.  Enjoy your food and family.
Caveman

bigblockyeti

I missed this before, thanks for bumping!

caveman

Quote from: LeeB on June 01, 2019, 08:21:19 AM
The wood was used at one time to make artificial limbs.
Going back through this thread on this TG day, and it struck me as ironic/funny that they used to use real limbs to make artificial limbs.
Caveman

Don P

persimmon?

On Thanksgiving as I listen to everyone from everywhere around the table my thoughts wander to, are they  "trash receptacle" or "the wrath of"  :D

Playin it safe, Please pass the candied orange things.

Wlmedley

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Poquo

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

caveman

Poquo, I tried to link a turkey oak to today but somehow, I failed to do so.  Also, LeeB previously mentioned that the wood of black willow used to be used for artificial limbs or prosthetics.  After reading this thread in its entirety today, I realize that we have some potential trees of the day close by that I have not posted pictures of.  

This thread reminded me of how much I have learned from many of you who contribute to the forestry forum.  I am thankful to have had the opportunity to go back and read some of WDH's amazing explanations and think about the conversations that we had that were of incredible benefit to me.
Caveman

Poquo

Caveman, this is one of my favorite threads on the Forestry Forum. Whenever I walk in the woods I'm trying to identify trees , not very good but getting better. Thanks to everyone on here that freely shares there knowledge to help. 
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

caveman

While driving and walking around the swamps in the winter, I saw a tree that I did not previously put on the tree of the day thread.  Most of the year I do not notice this tree but in December the red berries shine.  The ones I took pictures of today have lost most of their berries.  This species is found from Louisiana to Florida and up the Atlantic coast.  The tree pictured is a girl.

What is it?

Caveman

Don P

I think native americans made a drink from it but the latin name scares me.

Poquo

I think Winter is the key.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

caveman

The best I can tell, it is a Dahoon Holly (Ilex cassine).  I see a lot of American Holly north of here.  The Dahoon Holly is used frequently as an ornamental in landscape.  Walgreens seems to plant them at all of their stores by the parking lots.
Caveman

Don P

:D That's better than ilex vomitoria... yaupon

Poquo

I thought it might have been Winterberry
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

customsawyer

I just found this thread and finished reading it all the way through. Wow what a lot of digesting to try to do in a short period of time. It was awesome reading post by Danny like he was still here. Don't know why but this is the only place that his profile hasn't changed.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!