iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Species strength...

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 14, 2020, 11:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Probably a question for @Don P  or @Wood Doctor .  My plans specify Ponderosa pine but I have a potential lead on some Sugar Pine.  In the toolbox, there is ponderosa but no sugar.  I thought I saw sugar in there but either the list changed or I'm mistaken (more likely).  Is sugar more or less strong then ponderosa and by how much?  I'm so oversized I don't really think it will be a problem but just checking to be sure.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

Slightly weaker in bending, the same in stiffness, ever so slightly lower shear. It falls into the "western woods" group in the calcs.
If that group is not there, let me know which calc your on and I'll catch it on my next cool off break.

Ljohnsaw

Thanks, Don.  IIRC, I designed my cabin around the use of #2 Ponderosa but (not being a lumber grader), I'm cutting #1 or even select.  Even with that, I oversized a bit for aesthetics.  So, looking at the rating of Sugar (Western Woods), leaning more toward the #1, I am still about 150% of my design requirements.  I did read somewhere a while back that the sugar pine was something like the third most used wood behind Doug Fir and Ponderosa (out here).  So, I think I'm still good.

Also, a request?  The wood design specs that you find under the manual beam calc, it would be nice if that was up on the "main menu" area.  I always have to dig down into a few of the calcs to find it.  I think its only available there.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

I put that link at the top of the beam and column calcs list.

I added another link that is dead right now for species combinations, this made me realize that should be available, ok slow learner. Looking at the list, that will take a little while.

All of that is also in the "Supplement to the NDS" on the awc.org site.

On using #2 design values, the TF Standard, which is apparently forever in development, said something to the effect that if the timbers were not graded by a certified third party grader that you use no higher than #2 design values. That and typical framing convention is where that comes from. If you're sure you're in good material then use more realistic numbers. Where it goes astray is when someone is making the numbers fit the need they have. That isn't going to change the timber.

Don P

OK, the species combinations list should be live now, give it a whirl and let me know if you see problems or mistakes  :)
https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/SpeciesGroups.htm

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!