The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did You know - outdoor edition  (Read 23777 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Did You know - outdoor edition
« Reply #440 on: April 11, 2021, 08:59:39 PM »
  Yep, same company if not same model we used for filter pump. Mine has a ceramic filter that  removes all dangerous pathogens.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline RichTired

• Share Post
« Reply #441 on: April 11, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »
When my Dad returned from WWII he got a job at a tractor company. He made deliveries and made repairs out in the field. He had one story where he had worked all morning on a tractor left out in the back 40 from the end of the last season. He got it running and drove it back to the man's house. He was parched from being out in the sun all morning and went directly to the well, drew a bucket of water and put the dipper in the bucket and pulled out a big dead rat.
He said, "boy all of a sudden I was no longer thirsty!"
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #442 on: April 11, 2021, 10:38:49 PM »
Yep, same company if not same model we used for filter pump. Mine has a ceramic filter that removes all dangerous pathogens.

Here it is disassembled.  The ceramic filter is seen in the top right.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2021, 08:45:49 AM »
   Did you know that one way prickly pear cactus spreads is by the pads breaking off into various animals which then transport them to a new location and then pull the pad free and it takes root in the new site starting a new plant. They have very long, sharp, barbed thorns and can be very painful and dangerous to people and animals. My grandfather had a piece of land that had a bunch on them in Central Fla and when deer hunters using dogs jumped a deer in the area the deer would often deliberately run through them. The dogs following would run into the prickly pear patch and it would shut them down that day and until the hunter could remove them and they could heal up which usually took several days. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2021, 09:49:32 AM »
MM I have the same one, and we used another that held 4 L and went through a filter by gravity, for enough water to make a meal for the group (13).  water is heavy, so you cannot always carry it with you in large quantities.  when we made food, we boiled the water well after filtering. then added the dehydrated stuff.  The wide mouth Katadyn can attach directly to the top of a water bottle (Nalgene) and then we added a purification tab.  if you waited several hours to use that water for drinking, there was no bad taste.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Will.K

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »
Did you know prickly pear cactus is good to eat too? I first ate prickly pear (with a roasted little javelina) when camping near the big bend of the Rio Grande. Now I have some growing on my place and harvest occasionally.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
Just donít eat the spines.  

O U C H !!!🤬👿😄😱
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
Yes, doc, we pumped directly into the Nalgene water bottles and then inserted the UV light thingy for the specified amount of time.  No tablets.  We then used it for our freeze dried meals and also poured it directly into our "Camelbaks for the next day's water.

We used and drank "cow pie" water for 10 days with no ill effects.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2021, 02:37:01 PM »
   The streams we used as a source were plenty sketchy too and the filter worked fine for us. Weight of the water was the very reason we bought and used it as we'd have had to have hired 2-3 extra porters to carry enough safe water in to see us through in the remote areas we were visiting. Every day we could just generate the next days water and stay as long as we liked and we were carrying a device that weighed a couple of pounds instead of carrying 100 lbs or more and limiting our stay to the amount of our water supply.
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #449 on: April 13, 2021, 09:44:41 AM »
   Did you know the first fruit trees in my area of WV to bloom are Blackheart (Wild sweet) cherries, followed almost immediately by plums, then apples? Actually, this year I have a peach tree that beat them all to the bloom by nearly a week. The cherries will start to ripen in late May and finish in early June. My Red Delicious apples will get ripe in August and September. The plums probably in June/July (I don't know as this is the first year the bush has bloomed). The odd thing is my peaches, which were first to bloom, will ripen in late September and October. Our dogwoods are just starting to bloom. 

I typically actually get a crop of Blackheart cherries about every 4-5 years as most years a late freeze knocks the blooms off the tree. The last couple of years critters stole nearly all my apples. I don't know what I will be fighting to get my plums. The deer, horse and mule eat a few peaches but not enough to hurt me.  My big horse can easily reach 10' high and will trample you to get an apple out of your hand but has not figured out how to eat the ones hanging 4'-5' high in his pasture. Go figure!
Howard Green

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #450 on: April 13, 2021, 11:03:30 AM »
For sure, apples are relished by a wide range of critters. I once caught a Gray Fox on New Years' Day and its' belly was full of apples.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2021, 12:37:09 PM »
@KEC itís probably because a grey is the only canine that can NATURALLY climb trees, just not all trees. 

Iíve no idea why the horse canít figure out how to get those apples. Curious, isnít it.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #452 on: April 14, 2021, 09:10:31 AM »
   Since there is an active sister thread about bats I'll discuss them. Did you know that most bats are insectivores and are very a very helpful species but some species eat fruit and there are even the famous vampire bats down in Mexico and Central/South America that live on a diet of blood? The insect eaters locate their prey by a type of sonar. You can go out to a night light where a few bats are swooping and diving catching bugs and pitch a few pebbles up in the air and watch them swoop down and grab them. I have always thought about taking my fly rod out with a cork bug like I use for bluegills and see if I can't catch bats with it. Then I get to thinking about how I am going to get him off the hook and I really don't want to hurt them and I back off. Kind of like the first time I went frog gigging and gigged a big water snake then had to get him off the gig and realized what a dumb thing that had been to do.

In the city of Douala, Cameroon in West Africa there were a couple of big mango trees near where I lived and worked where the big fruit bats roosted. There were 10's of thousands, if not more, bats there hanging off every limb. They were about the size of crows. At sunset it looked like a tornado over the area as they left the roost and circled a few times before leaving for their favorite feeding ground. Sometimes in the middle of the day we would see them circling and knew that something had disturbed them - usually a local guy with a pellet gun shooting a few to eat.

We went back there in 2008 and I took my photographer wife over to see them and get some pictures. She has very good cameras and lenses and got plenty of good pictures. We were looking at the pictures on our computer later and my wife was looking at yawning bats and such and she suddenly asked me "What are these things on these bats?" I looked and told her "They are male bats." I never realized her equipment was good enough to tell the sex of roosted bats.
Howard Green

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #453 on: April 14, 2021, 11:46:30 AM »
Howard, not sure it is appropriate to talk about sex and your wife's equipment!   :o :o :o :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #454 on: April 14, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
Doc,

The next time time she is wearing her "Miss Kitty" dress I will have to check with her about that. :D
Howard Green

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #455 on: April 14, 2021, 03:47:10 PM »
I was trying to be funny, and I hope I did not offend too many.  Us medical folks work and live with a different line in the sand than many.  My apologies to any and all that thought my comments were over the line.  all due respect to you and your wife.  

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #456 on: April 14, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »
Doc,

You sure haven't hurt my feelings or offended me. I still want to talk with you some time about that missing ring though. :D :D
Howard Green

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #457 on: April 14, 2021, 05:20:13 PM »
So you do know, the post was reported, so there is a line for some. Be careful with it gents.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #458 on: April 14, 2021, 05:50:21 PM »
Howard you and I have a history of poking fun, and of course that was all I intended, but i was made aware, and I know this is a family site.  i have crossed the line accidentally before and so i know that I am somewhat numb to some items of off color biological stuff.  It was a play on words.  Jeff as you know I love the forum, and mean no harm.  thanks for the heads up, and hope you all do not loose patience with the ol doc.  

Quote:
"They are male bats." I never realized her equipment was good enough to tell the sex of roosted bats.  

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #459 on: April 15, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »
   Did you know that old timers, and maybe some still do, used to snare gar fish in the southern USA? As I understand the process they would take a thin wire and make a snare/loop, tie it to a long cane pole and place it in front of a live or cut bait under a float in shallow water in oxbow lakes and other places where gars were common and fed on the surface. I assume when they saw the gar approaching they positioned the loop in front of the fish between the gar and the bait. The slender gar would swim into the loop and the gar fisherman would pull tightening the loop. I understand it was very exciting to watch a fish caught in this fashion as they fought really hard and gars can be very large, strong fish.
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Husqvarna 372xp Original Edition vs. 372xp Current Edition "X-Torq" Saws.

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

69 Replies
Last post January 11, 2021, 10:43:28 AM
by weimedog
xx
Empyre Outdoor wood stove /Any outdoor boiler

Started by KamHillbilly on Firewood and Wood Heating

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2018, 07:01:53 AM
by ButchC
xx
Limited Edition LogRite