iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log identification

Started by Swernicus, March 01, 2021, 08:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEC

Anyone else see a resemblense to Catalpa ? Not saying it is.

Magicman

Yes I do see a resemblance to Catalpa but I saw very little of it.  Actually I do not recall ever sawing it but once.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

A simple un-scientific pocketknife test will check for catalpa vs most any other look alike candidate. I've sawed twice as much catalpa as magicman :D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Swernicus

I was finally able to find a moment among all the milling, stacking, and maple syrup boiling to inspect the end grain and it looks to be elm based on the wavy patterns detailed in a link above. Also the weather warmed a bit and the smell of the wood definitely had that elm flair to it. Not sassafras. Was really hoping for some sas!

kantuckid

Yesterday while clearing our woods roads of 100 year record ice, snow & rain tree falls, I cut into a log which had lost it bark and began to rot from the outside. It may have been 10" original size where I whacked it and the first thought after cutting through and seeing the hard core heartwood was sassafras- which one sniff proved to be true. i think I'll pull it with the poplar logs lying next to it and saw something thick out of it to compliment the 4/4 sassafras I cut couple years back. 

Danmcc

What tree is this? The leaves on the ground were oak, but the 5 trees around it were gum. 

WDH

Certainly sweetgum.  Note the dark heart.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tacotodd

@Damncc is their any chance for you to go & get a picture of it sawn off much closer and in the root flare. All the sweet gum that "I've" ever seen has an aallmmost starfish shape to it that close. 

Now, that being said, I'm not arguing about WDH's assessment to it being sweetgum, because I don't know trees much at all! And I'm not trying to step on ANYONE's toes. Just going with the TINY bit that I've been exposed to.
Trying harder everyday.

WDH

The buds will be fairly large and decidedly imbricate (overlapping scales).  The twigs may or may not have wings. 

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tacotodd

I've got a good hold on everything leaves and gumballs. My weak spot is the bark ID. That's why I'd not be able to select cut when the leaves aren't there.
Trying harder everyday.

WDH

Bark is the very first thing that I look at when IDing a tree.  Down here in the Deep South with so many species, I find the bark to be very distinctive on most species. 

Danmcc

I'll get another pic when I go back to pick up more logs. I think it is star shaped, I can see some star shape in the pic. The ground was littered with oak leaves, thats why I was wondering. I'm can do fairly well with leaves to identify, but bark only seems elusive 

stavebuyer

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2021, 06:48:44 PM
Bark is the very first thing that I look at when IDing a tree.  Down here in the Deep South with so many species, I find the bark to be very distinctive on most species.
Buying or sorting logs bark is pretty much all you have to make a call especially if you are in the loader cab. Look at enough and you learn the subtle differences; just like a farmer knows all his cows without looking at an ear tag number.   Cruising/marking timber goes a lot smoother when the leaves are off.

WDH

Yes, when you cruise a lot of timber, you really learn the bark. 

low_48

Catalpa is so lightweight, you would know right away. It weighs less than anything I've ever cut, even basswood. I only cut one sassafras, it had basically no sapwood. I'd still go with elm.

kantuckid

Plus- I have never seen a catalpa in the forest competing for sunlight. 

moodnacreek

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2021, 06:48:44 PM
Bark is the very first thing that I look at when IDing a tree.  Down here in the Deep South with so many species, I find the bark to be very distinctive on most species.
Yes but you have to know age and how it affects the bark pattern, that is by looking at it. If you can peel some off, well that would be cheating.

WDH

After you see a species a thousand times in all seasons, you understand the subtle nuances and differences between the species and the variation within species. It is a lifelong activity, and I am old as some rocks.  

doc henderson

Quote from: WDH on March 20, 2021, 08:34:49 AMIt is a lifelong activity, and I am old as some rocks.  
and almost as purdy!   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

KEC

WDH, Having hauled mostly hardwood sawlogs for 5 years, having to sort by species and rough grade to load #2 and better sawlogs, I have an appreciation for someone who has looked at leafless trees and logs. Add to the equation logs that have been skidded and pushed around  and coated with mud and snow. Sometimes I had to push the grapple down through a foot or 2 of snow, then drop it in the bunks to knock the snow off enough to tell what species or grade it was. Lots of variables when looking at bark, for sure. And yes, I still scratch my head at times.

Thank You Sponsors!