iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone heard of Italian Stone Pine? Pinus pinea L

Started by cabindoc, May 22, 2021, 08:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabindoc

The ap I have on my phone tells me this is the species of pine.  Anyone have a different view or another ap that may be more accurate?  Tree is from NJ, northern i'm told, or northeast at least. 

The ap I use is planet net

Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Texas Ranger

Could be any species of pine, bark not the best identity item by itself, other than in some common trees.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

HemlockKing

Any pictures of the needles? The bark looks like matured red pine. I have never heard of a Italian stone pine
A1

cabindoc

I'll look for needles today.  this is what I have.

Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Don P

Well, its a mediterranian tree, these are in NJ. were these ornamentals or native? If native I'd cast my net closer to home. I posted a link to a NJ pine tree list in the post you started on this yesterday. That end cut looks like a red to me, pinus resinosa, our cousin of the european hard pines.

Southside

Did they grow there or were they trucked in? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

cabindoc

Land clearing job I was told in northern NJ but I got 5 loads of these from this guy and no end in site.  Guy I got them from is a firewood processor so he just gives them to me as he obviously cant sell as firewood.  So trucked in, yes but I cant see them being trucked all that far.  

I looked at the list DonP and it is so hard for me, a non professional, to tell the difference when I compare my pics to all those native to NJ, also since I don't know exactly whence they came.....can't narrow it down.

I'm hoping you pro's might be able to.
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

firefighter ontheside

That end grain shot looks like the logs of my house....red pine.  I would lean toward a forest of red pine being cut down in New Jersey.  I find it hard to  believe there is a forest of Mediterranean pine growing in NJ.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

Whether they are red pine or a Mediterranean pine, you probably won't know the difference when you saw them and use the lumber. They're fairly similar species from what I understand.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Red pine bark is a mix of these colors, greys and browns with a reddish hue.

I don't know about down your way, but up here we planted red pine on a lot of abandoned fields. The range map shows it grows all over NB, but not naturally. It was natural on sites with red clay sandy soil. Around where I live it's dark brown soil with a sandy clay so it drains faster. That red clay will send a log truck up to it's frame mighty quick. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 24, 2021, 04:43:24 AM

I don't know about down your way, but up here we planted red pine on a lot of abandoned fields. The range map shows it grows all over NB, but not naturally. It was natural on sites with red clay sandy soil. Around where I live it's dark brown soil with a sandy clay so it drains faster. That red clay will send a log truck up to it's frame mighty quick. :D
Sd I know this is little out of range of this topic, but have you ever looked into planting giant red sequoia (ask you because your climate is similar) in NB? I know there is a few private property's here in NS that have some and apparently they are growing good. The red sequoia comes from the fog belt of California, I'm in a mild climate, warm winters cooler summers, lots of fog, my land has good elevation and drainage, I've wondered about these trees..
A1

cabindoc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 24, 2021, 04:43:24 AM

SwampDonkey, down in s NJ. we have sandy loam soil with a little clay.  In n NJ it is more shale and rock, very little sand but, with the link DonP sent me it does show red pine is indigenous to 4 counties in NJ.  All to the north of me.
Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 23, 2021, 09:11:52 PM
That end grain shot looks like the logs of my house....red pine.  I would lean toward a forest of red pine being cut down in New Jersey.  I find it hard to  believe there is a forest of Mediterranean pine growing in NJ.
Was your house from a mfr?  as in kit?  or is your house more the handcrafted variety?

I read up on both red pine and shortleaf pine and the description of bark and where they grow is so very similar.  I would love the answer to be red pine.  I know of several Mfr's who use red pine for log homes.

I might just have to call my forester in on this one.  
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Southside

Can say without a doubt that's not Short Leaf. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Shortleaf has pitch pockets in the bark.  What you have is certainly red pine.  There is no reason to think that your pines are imports from Europe when the native red pines are growing all around you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

The sign to me is star shaped hearts and a more "spicy" smell... I know not very scientific  :D 

Southside

Don - really?  I was expecting so much more.  Something that referenced a grading / code book from 1914 or an association alert that recently exposed a red pine imposter.  You MUST have an old house that sits over the side of some mountain ledge made of Mediterranean Pine that you affixed a cantilevered porch onto after encountering a den of wood chucks - no?  At the very least isn't there something about the off set pith thread that can be brought into the conversation?   :D  

Mom's not gonna be happy about this.... ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Southside, no more coffee for you this morning :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Hey Southside, I think Jeff made you a moderator- you may have misheard it as an "agitator" though?😂

Southside

Just think how dull it would be without me to stir the pot.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

I went in to pull a permit for a job that required baring a pretty good sized piece of ground. "Are you a registered disturber?" 

I am now a registered disturber  ;D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Don P on May 24, 2021, 05:57:43 PM
I went in to pull a permit for a job that required baring a pretty good sized piece of ground. "Are you a registered disturber?"

I am now a registered disturber  ;D
Well, that should open up all kinds of opportunities! ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

I remember something about that in my SHARP class. Chesapeake Bay thing maybe? It is sure to get worse. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

cabindoc

Quote from: Jeff on May 24, 2021, 05:19:28 PM
Is that a cannibus reference?
calm down Jeff, no one is violating your rules here.....
back to the subject at hand.  I drove through what is known as the pinelands of NJ yesterday and took these pics.  These trees are certainly NOT what I have.  Thank you Jesus, as they are about as twisted as my sister in law.

Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

cabindoc

having technical problems with pics.  Sorry.  These go with the previous post.

Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

cabindoc

This a picture of the pine logs we have been milling for posts.

Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Jeff

Calm down jeff?   Calm down jeff?  Calm down jeff?  Ya know, my attempt at humor, has not a thing to do with you.  How about a thankyou for going out of my way to allow this topic to come back after wasting part of my sunday morning cleaning up topics you had convoluted by not following rules then crying about it.
Those that know me know it takes a bit to pith me off but if you know me, you know it can happen.  Im pretty g d tolerant. You just made it happen.
My rules?  KISS MY  

barbender

Jeff was not mad. Jeff was being funny. Now Cabindoc comes in and reveals a snarky attitude and talks to you like he owns the place. Now Jeff is mad.😬😬😂

firefighter ontheside

@cabindoc my home was not from a kit.  It was handcrafted in MN with handpeeled logs that were then scribed and notched.  Essentially the log shell was built completely in MN and then taken back down and shipped to MO.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

cabindoc

was it a company that did that?  or an individual?  a little off topic, but just curious.
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

cabindoc

BTW, thanx all to the replies and input.  Although I don't have a definitive, with this input I can eliminate some species and I feel better about that and so I thank all for that.

And to Jeff, thanx for straightening out my mis steps.  I promise, I will be a good boy.
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: cabindoc on May 26, 2021, 06:01:19 AM
was it a company that did that?  or an individual?  a little off topic, but just curious.
It was a company out of Grand Marais MN called Senty Loghomes.  It was a small outfit.  I don't think he employed more than a half dozen guys.  He and one of his guys came down to MO to help me put the logs back up over 2 days.  I had a crane on sight and about 6 friends and family to help with labor.  It looks like they are out of business as I'm sure the owner retired.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

cabindoc

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 26, 2021, 07:20:20 AM
Quote from: cabindoc on May 26, 2021, 06:01:19 AM
was it a company that did that?  or an individual?  a little off topic, but just curious.
It was a company out of Grand Marais MN called Senty Loghomes.  It was a small outfit.  I don't think he employed more than a half dozen guys.  He and one of his guys came down to MO to help me put the logs back up over 2 days.  I had a crane on sight and about 6 friends and family to help with labor.  It looks like they are out of business as I'm sure the owner retired.
Nice!  Take care of the outside and keep her well maintained.  Finding guys like me to make repairs is difficult.  we are unicorns in a dying breed of tradesmen.  
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Clark

Back to the topic at hand...I don't see red pine in those logs at all. Unless it is the world's most poorly growing red pine with bark that more resembles one of the 2-needle pines. Doesn't NJ have some native pitch, jack or Norfolk Island ( ???) pines? 

Sure, someone could have planted Italian stone pines but something local and isn't red pine seems most likely to me.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Don P

I think I've seen 3 different kinds of pine in this thread. The original, what I believe are red pine logs, the southern pine of some kind end cut 6x6 (which is doing a good job of showing how bluestain travels in through the rays), and the pitch? pines growing in the barrens.

WDH

Pitch pine has three needles to the fascicle, not two. 

Jeff

It would certainly identify as red pine if it was here, but there were several places in the u.p. where I could show you rows of European Larch that was planted as end rows to red pine plantations as study trees. I believe they weere all harvested now.

Clark

Quote from: WDH on May 28, 2021, 06:12:18 AM
Pitch pine has three needles to the fascicle, not two.

And Norfolk Island Pine? Clearly my intimate knowledge of the species is tied to the number of times I have seen and examined it. I should have a been a bit more broad and stated the culprit is likely one of the eastern hard pines but in my very intimate knowledge of red pine I would most assuredly say, not red pine. Don't you have Virginia and some others over there?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

firefighter ontheside

It is definitely not Norfolk Island Pine.  You may be thinking of something else.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

Quote from: Clark on May 28, 2021, 06:00:00 PMnd Norfolk Island Pine?
Quote from: Clark on May 28, 2021, 06:00:00 PMAnd Norfolk Island Pine?

Norfolk Island Pine is a species of Araucaria, not a true pine. Basically the Southern hemisphere equivalent of Pinus from the North. I think they are quite common in Florida area as they are resistant to salt spray and wind, but wouldn't handle the colder climates. 

Araucaria heterophylla - Wikipedia
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Clark

Quote from: Ianab on May 28, 2021, 07:12:54 PM

Araucaria heterophylla - Wikipedia
I understand how Jeff feels after this thread. Clearly it isn't Norfolk Island pine. With that, I bow out.
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!