iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Scrounging ID?

Started by ReggieT, June 15, 2021, 11:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey Guys,

Nabbed these up from a blowdown in the neighborhood.
The reddish big rounds I thought were Cherry, yet they smell sweet, but lack the dark red heartwood of cherry.
Here are pics of bark, a slabbed split, and the rds.
The other looks like some type of oak...pin, red..???

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Reg
R

mike_belben

The sweet one looks like some type of sick or i guess diseased, dying soft maple to me...  They smell sugary and attract ants and flies too.  

Last one looks like some type of oak to me also.  Maybe scarlet oak by the long straight vertical bark channels but thats just a guess.  Color seems a bit off so may not be. Idk.
Praise The Lord

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ReggieT

The last three are definitely red oak...unmistakable after I split a mess of it!  :(

The reddish rounds just maybe an older Bradford Pear...I think! lol 

mike_belben

One heck of a big fruit tree
Praise The Lord

ReggieT

A friend of mine an Agriculture guru for a local university says it is, "definitely something in the Prunus genus, which includes cherry, plum, and other fruits and ornamental trees. But I can't give you a specific species". :P  ::)

Don P

That does resemble fire blight on pear in one of those pics. @WDH

ReggieT

Thanks.
Reckon it would make for decent grill or smoker duty? food2 digin_2 food3

Don P

If that is fire blight the best thing is to burn it all immediately and don't move or bring any more of it home, burn it right there on their farm. If Danny doesn't pipe up I'll get my boss to look at that pic in the morning.

ReggieT

Hmm...ye old fire blight.
I'll do some empirical research on that malady.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Got it staged outside in the open sun with about 40% already split & stacked. popcorn_smiley

Don P

The boss said she had never seen fire blight on old bark like that so not at all sure about that one. Hard to tell. She reminded me of what the black bark looked like on seriously ambrosia'd maple and beech bark diseased beech... dunno  ???.

Sunbeard

Some of that is Black Cherry

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!