iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees with berries ID

Started by etd66ss, September 10, 2021, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etd66ss

WV Sawmiller

The second tree looks like Basswood (Linden) to me. I'd check it against the other specs on line. Don't recognize the first one off hand.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

bitternut

Looks like both trees have been identified properly. Both are common in western NY. The basswood is a large lumber-producing tree while the thornapple is a much smaller understory tree. Thornapples or hawthorns are one in the same but come in several variations, but to me they are all the same. Not good for anything that have neumatic tires. >:(

etd66ss

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Hawthorn is another one they give regional names to .Hawthorn, haw ,thorn apple being some .Deer nibble on them but they are very sour .Kind of funny to me .They might call it a tree but to me it's a bush .While some people refer to a mulberry as a bush but it gets too tall for a bush .
Hawthorn in this area you might find in pasture fields scattered hither  and yon or in fence rows when they had fence rows .Those fence rows BTW are getting as rare as the giant dairy barns of a bygone era .

etd66ss

The Thorn Apple I took a picture of is over 15' tall. Looks like a tree, single trunk, etc.

SwampDonkey

Some of them can get as big as a small apple tree.

Lots of fence rows up this way, what is rare is finding old cedar rail in them. Younger generations have gleamed them for kindling wood.If they ain't guarded by hawthorns. ;D  Around here in Royalton, hawthorn is about nil, but it is around in places. South of here I was on an abandoned field, solid hawthorn in among wild apples. Up at my uncle's 30 miles north, it took over the pastures. :D I have only seen a couple here growing in the old orchard, which I converted to a hardwoods grove with some ever greens along the west line. In recent years I found a wild grape in there, which never grew here when I was a kid, it grew down in the village along the RR and in fencing also the main river. So it's native for sure. Them old Vikings found some (vine land) in their travels and even picked butternuts because they found some of those over in Labrador in mud houses they built 600 or 800 years ago.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Wild grapes are another subject .About the size of a pea and the birds get them like they do mulberrys .Just like mulberrys they don't stay with them long and they use them for practice bombing runs on your newly washed automobile .I have wild grape vines  growing the closest vines are 200 feet away .Birds act like squirrels that are good nut tree planters .It would not surprise me if thorn apples in pasture fields might be traced to birds .
Come to think about I do have some kind of thorny bush in one of my fence rows I have to duck when mowing the field .I've never seen those little tiny sour apples though .Unless those bushes are like mulberry which have male and female plants . Don't know because I've never claimed to be a forester or arborist .I do know an oak tree from a pine tree though if that counts for anything . :)

WDH

But you got some work to do on your hickories.  Sorry, couldn't help it, just funning  ;) ;D.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

You are correct as I have a couple of standing dead , big ones . ;)

Southside

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 12, 2021, 01:07:52 PM.I do know an oak tree from a pine tree though if that counts for anything .

Had a friends girlfriend a few years back that asked me to walk her wood lot with her as it was part of a larger family lot that was being clear cut and she had absolutely no idea what she had, or what she could do as she had ideas for use of the land that didn't involve a clear cut.  Se we went for a walk, we are standing in the middle of natural re-gen pine for as far as you can see when she says "Now these are all oak right?".  Ummm, where do I start.::)  Then it got better, we were on an old, easy to see path and she tells me she just has to "look at something right there for a moment".   Sure - so I turn around to give her some privacy as she walks 50 or so feet away.  Few minutes later I say something, no answer, so I say something louder, no answer.  Head in that direction - no friends girlfriend.  What the....  Spend the next two hours searching for her, call a buddy who is a Game Warden and tell him I need help, kinda, sorta, have a missing person issue.  Call my wife and ask her to start over this way, yea this is looking great for me.  It wasn't like it was an area big enough to actually get lost and get in trouble in, but still.  Eventually she found her way to a road and came back but...ugg that was getting embarrassing.  

To her credit after that she did sign up for a small woodlot owners class at a local University so now she knows an oak from a pine.  Not sure if map and compass was part of the class work or not. ;D

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Al_Smith

:D It does go on and on about like the never ending often revisited great oil debate .So here's another to kick to fro to take the heat of hickory trees 
You have linden and you have basswood .What's the difference ? How's about Osage orange and hedge apple or just plain hedge ?Osage certainly is not related to a real orange tree but is to a mulberry which is often referred  to as a bush .Then how's come I have a male in my thicket that's nearly 50 feet tall ? I'm just so confused . ;D

WDH

It was the most desirable wood for native Americans bows.  The Osage were one tribe that highly valued the wood.  The fruit is a large berry that looks like an orange.  It was found to make an almost impenetrable hedge to act as a natural fence due to the thorns and the intertwining growth habit of the twigs and the fruit is large like an apple.  It was widely planted in the East as a natural fence/hedge. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

--plus when hedge rows get about 3 -- 4 feet across it will stop a 2,000 pound Holstein bull with a twinkle in his eye . :D

Southside

Ever seen how high and far them things can jump?  We had to increase the height of the chest gates in the parlor because of two that would just launch themselves out when they wanted to.  Stand there, launch, and not touch the gate at all on the way over it as the claw hit the ground.  Started calling one "Willie" as in "Free Willie" because of it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 11, 2021, 08:25:22 AM
Hawthorn is another one they give regional names to .Hawthorn, haw ,thorn apple being some .Deer nibble on them but they are very sour .Kind of funny to me .They might call it a tree but to me it's a bush .While some people refer to a mulberry as a bush but it gets too tall for a bush .
Hawthorn in this area you might find in pasture fields scattered hither  and yon or in fence rows when they had fence rows .Those fence rows BTW are getting as rare as the giant dairy barns of a bygone era .
I have them here and there too and never seen one much over 3-4' tall. Why are the bigger up north? Different species? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Al_Smith

It could be there might be different species of thorn apples or what ever you want to call them .I've seem them, all short with little grape sized fruit to about ping pong ball sized .They might be good for something but eating off the bush is not one of them .Maybe for baking tarts because that they are indeed .

SwampDonkey

Many species, some grow 30 feet tall. The Cockspur hawthorn, Crataegus crusgalliis, a showy native ornamental. It's not hard to find botanical info in books and Google. :D   You fellas with small ones, stop cut'n them for 40 years on old pasture ground and see how high they grow. :D

Al_Smith

I'll check out my fence row about mid next week to see what I have .All I know is it tries to snag the hat off my head when I mow .I'm recuperating at the moment from trying to act like I'm 23 instead of 73 .Had a little blow out which required a high tech tire patch .
I have to do battle with that fence row about every 5 or 6 years .Of course I always win because I have the chainsaw .Danged things got my John-Deere hat once that was water proofed with genuine John-Deere grease .After it went through a flair mower all I had left was a beanie .

kantuckid

OK, lets see how that pans out for "you fellas" :D? 

We bought this land in 1978 which had no road and was an old subsistence farm area with some tobacco patches and bench fields that had grown into mature pines and old pastures too.
 These small hawthorns have been left alone since we moved here as I find them "interesting" based on spring flowers and the same small fruits mentioned above. I already guessed the height at 3-4" as I recall, certainly not seen them grow much? 
Now, back to why they aren't bigger?  cause it' not me chopping on them... ;D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

samandothers

SwampDonkey,
That was an interesting utube.  I ended up watching quite a few of his clips.  Interesting guy.   I enjoyed the ones about his use of Pine Tar and Linseed oil or Turpentine as a finish.

SwampDonkey

I follow him, but I just gloss over any of his conspiracy chats out in the garage. To me a lot of diatribe of no value. :D

But one thing there that is quite true, you have to use a bit of skepticism from a lot of news providers. They themselves will often know better (by their own admission) than the message they give. James Randii would call them "media ___'s", because they'll say/do anything to sell news. :D :D

The old codger weaves rugs,  and this past Feb he lost his mother, who was still weaving rugs to near the end. She was 92.

I like his mechanic projects to, motor bikes, VW bus, M37, the old Chev Car from the 40's. He saws lumber on an Alaskan, and lot of wood cut'n in the winter for firewood and logs. :D

Al_Smith

I did get some pictures today of trees or bushes with berries .I have no idea what they are except they aren't hickory trees or oaks . ;) First one is that thorn infested thing ,looks little like a hawthorn ,sort of but no thorn apple .

Thank You Sponsors!