iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Charleston tree #2 (ID needed)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, June 19, 2008, 01:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

On the Charleston trip I was able to identify pretty much every tree I saw except this one.  The leaves look like chestnut oak, but the bark perhaps does not.  And chestnut oak certainly does not range into the coastal plain of South Carolina.

Perhaps this is a swamp chestnut oak?   ???

There is nothing in the first picture to provide scale - but this was also a large tree approaching 4 feet dbh.

beenthere

On a quick glance, Chinkapin oak comes to mind first.

On second thought (and quick search), the leaves of Chinkapin are more pointed.

So scratch the guess.   :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riles

Quercus michauxii, the cow oak or swamp chestnut oak.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

DanG

DanGit Riles!  Somebody finally asks something I know, and ya beat me to it! :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

Where you beenn DanG? Haven't seen you around for a while?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

I've been plagued by computer troubles, Lee.  The Good Lord saw fit to send a lightning bolt to my house a few days ago, and put the old machine out of our misery, so I got off the nickel and bought a new one.  He works in mysterious ways, don't he? ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Good old Cow Oak, another name for Swamp Chestnut Oak as Riles points out.  The very large acorns were a favorite of cows.  A beautiful tree in the white oak group.

Good to see ya wired up good again, DanG!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!