Started by swampwhiteoak, July 24, 2001, 07:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampwhiteoak

Hope the image is clear enough.

Tom

Leaves of three, leave it be

Don't tell I some some of that in their :D

swampwhiteoak

Maybe this being up north is turning me into a Yankee :D but I can't interprete what your saying, Tom.

Tom

:D  :D  :D I understand.......Charlie has trouble and needs an interpreter too sometimes. :D

I was eluding to the similarity of the 3 leaves in the picture to poison ivy.  That was a little dity we learned in Scouts so that we would recognize it.  There was also one for 5 leaves which we were taught was poison oak.  I am finding out now that poison oak also has 3 leaves.

Anyway.........is that poison ivy?

Oh, that long green thing looks like a blade of grass.

:D  :D  :D i'm enjoying this

swampwhiteoak

QuoteAnyway.........is that poison ivy?

I'm afraid you've been suckered.  I thought of putting this one up after the V. Creeper picture.

I occasionally get asked to do "tree ID" or forestry field days with kids.  I always point out poison ivy b/c I think that's probably the most important plant to know.  I point out that it will grow creeping across the ground in clumps or as vines.

Anyway about half the time some smart-alec kid or occasionally an adult will try to point out "poison oak" to me.  Invariably they point to V. creeper.  I try to explain to them that poison oak doesn't grow up here, and that V. creeper is harmless.  They insist I don't know what I'm talking about ::)
Used to p-- me off.  Now I just laugh.

If that doesn't happen then someone will tell me that poison ivy will grow into a tree sometimes.  This is another common confusion, but usually doesn't lead to heated arguements.  The tree I speak of is in this picture.  Very common bottomland tree.  When young, it could be confused with poison ivy, but has an important leaf arrangement difference.

That should be enough clues for you.

Tom

You mean poison Ivy doesn't grow up in a tree?  What in the world are we calling Poison Ivy down here then?

That three leafed plant is what your talking about right?  That's a tree?  Ok, I'm going back to the books this afternoon. looks like other stuff off to the right of the picture and something else below the "tree".  Is this all one plant or does the subject just happen to be in the midst of other stuff? :)

swampwhiteoak

With the exception of the blade of grass, the rest of the photo is a tree seedling.  Top left of the picture is the best leaf shot.  Grows throughout the east and in California.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Yeah Don, it does look like the leaf in the picture of the book I've got.

swampwhiteoak

Score one for the Texan. 8)

Bill Johnson

Unless you live in the great white north then its known as Manitoba Maple Acer negundo.

:D
Bill

Tom

Staples is racking up 8) 8)

Texas Ranger

Yeah, trying to be a full member, I hate being the new kid!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

only 17 more to go Don for full member status! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!