iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uses for Basswood? stickers?

Started by etroup10, September 10, 2013, 01:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Well, basswood uses which haven't been stated, drawer's slides. The sapwood is "greasy" and drawers slide well onto it. Cricket bats. Corner, neck and end blocks for violins. chipcarving blanks.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

welderskelter

I remember cutting some basswood in the summertime and it turned yellow. Dont think it keeps well in the log. My thoughts

beenthere

welder
You are right, that basswood goes downhill fast when cut in warm weather. The bacteria begin working quickly.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etroup10

Quote from: beenthere on September 14, 2013, 07:40:22 PM
welder
You are right, that basswood goes downhill fast when cut in warm weather. The bacteria begin working quickly.

Does that lead to spalting by any chance?
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

leroy in kansas

Just a quick question, are Balsa and Basswood the same?

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

Balsa is found  mostly in South and Central America.

Basswood is found mostly in Eastern U.S., Europe and Asia.

I think ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!