iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder Rental

Started by Horselog, December 18, 2013, 09:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I am looking to possibly rent a cable skidder in the Cincinnati, OH area for probably a week.  Has anyone heard of skitters being rented before?  and if so, would anyone happen to have contacts or ideas in the Cincinnati area?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

thenorthman

not a local, but its unlikely that anyone is going to rent out a cable skidder, they may come out and operate it for you, at x per hour.  Too much can go wrong with a skidder to be letting someone of unknown skill drive it, not just the machine being broken but the operator getting hurt or killed.  Not saying you don't know how to drive one, just saying the owner don't know if you know how to drive one...
well that didn't work

Maine logger88

Up my way we have several guys that own 7 or 8 machines they rent out  one gets 2000 a month and the other gets 15 a cord and they have to do the trucking but obviously that doesn't do you any good just gives you an idea what to pay
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

DDDfarmer

I have heard of them being rented out but usually it is to someone they know and has something to back up the rental.  Have you run a skidder or other heavy equipment before?  Not quite the same as a farm tractor. 

I would first look at small operators or locals with a machine.  If you were to come to an agreement look over that machine completely and document everything and agree on your list before you leave with the machine. 

Might be better to hire someone to come in and work for you.  repairs to a skidder can be costly, lots of parts that could be almost ready to fail and you might end up with a large bill.

Do you have access to any other machinery that could be used? where there is a will there is a way.  Keep at it.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

flyboy16101

Depending on the size of the job you might be better off looking into renting a bull dozer
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Horselog

I do have skidder operation experience.  What we really need is just big winching capability, for example, we need to be able to winch 1500+ MBF of oak out of steep ravines, these are pretty good sized trees.  A big dozer with a winch would work too.

I was imagining more of a machinery rental company, along the lines of Sunbelt or United, who might have skidders, or dozers with winches.

Does anybody know anyone in the Cincinnati area with capacity like that who might hire out by the day?  It's probably not more than 2-3 days, at the most, of work. 
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

KyLogger

Is it on the Ky or Oh side of the river? I am not too awful far away.

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Horselog

It's in OH, on the western side of Cincinnati, just outside of the beltway. I believe it has a Milford address.

What size machine do you have?  What kind of rate would you need?  You can PM me.
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

Horselog

Excuse me, that would be the Eastern side, not the Western side.
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

SliverPicker

There's one outfit around here (N. Colorado) that rents skidders.  Its $6500 per week.
Yooper by trade.

Maine logger88

6500 per week? You could buy a cheap skidder in two weeks at that rate!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

SliverPicker

I know it.  Welcome to Colorado.  If it is a machine with tires you'd be hard pressed to find it anywhere for more $.
Yooper by trade.

klepper transport company

we call it leasing out here in ny. usually sign up for a four year lease with a dollar buy out at the end.

Jhenderson

I've never heard of rental company's having skidders. They're low demand, high maint and liability units.

starmac

From what I understand every rental ooutlet here that rents dozers, specifies in the contract NO logging.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

rdobb13

Ricers equipment used to rent/lease by the week.  Located in piketon, not sure if they still do.

coxy

Quote from: klepper transport company on February 29, 2016, 06:00:08 PM
we call it leasing out here in ny. usually sign up for a four year lease with a dollar buy out at the end.
where in NY are you

Thank You Sponsors!