iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

going to buy a used lt15 anything specific to check?

Started by nitrousbaby, May 21, 2014, 10:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrousbaby

Hey guys long time lurker here but this is one of my first posts. I finally found a Woodmizer Lt 15 with a Kohler motor. It looks to be in great shape built in 2007 and owned by a older gentleman until he just passed away. I'll be purchasing it off his estate with 140 hours on it asking price is $4800 with 10 new blades 8 blades need sharpened and 8 sharpened blades. From all you guys with way more experience is there certain parts I should pay more attention to? Thanks a lot for any help this will be my first mill I'm 30 years old and purchasing this to saw up my logs from the tree service I own.

Small Slick

It sounds like a great buy to me!!  At that price I would check for major damage from getting hit by tractors and logs dropped from height. This may twist or bend the beds. Even at that new bed sections can be purchased for $650. Does it run and has the oil been kept up?  Look for missing and or totally rusted parts. Sounds like a great price to me.

John.

WmFritz

Check the dogs height on your first cut.  :D :D  :D

(don't ask!)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

slider

al glenn

Jemclimber

The 15 is a nice saw. I do the same with my LT15. If it looks in great shape it probably is, 140 hours is very new. It sounds like a good deal.  Be sure to post pics when you get, because we love pictures.  ;D
lt15

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, nitrousbaby.

If the mill has always been under cover, it should be in a little better condition, especially cosmetic!

Does the mill have a GO kit?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hello nitrousbaby, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)

Sounds like a deal on the sawmill, congrats.  Adding your location (and sawmill) to your profile will help with questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

As long as the engine is in good shape, everything else should be OK.  It would take some very serious abuse to bend that frame. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

nitrousbaby,welcome to the forum. What's all the lumber going to be used for? You will need a Logrite,sponsor on the left, peavey or cant dog to turn those logs. There is a place on the Logrite website to help you decide on a peavey or cantdog. Ever been around a mill before? We all like sawing.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Don't forget to call woodmizer and register with them.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

nitrousbaby

Thanks for the tips and quick response. The lumber will be used for multiple things I guess from all the wood workers in my family to my 15 acres and the project house that sits on it. Not to mention the house I live in now. As for moving logs I have a case with grapplers and can't hooks. I've never sawed a single board in my life so this is a brand new adventure. I do have a really good friend that works 60 hours a week as a sawyer using mostly Lt 40s hydraulic. I know its a completely different animal but I hope he can teach me a few things. I already have a huge pile of logs to mess with ash, red oak, pine, walnut, hackberry, cherry, ironwood and tons more I'm gona start on the pine first. I leave at 7 pm to get the mill

Klicker

2006 LT 40 HD

YellowHammer

Congrats on the new mill.  I had an LT15 and it is a fine, workhorse of a mill.  If the engine fires and the carriage rolls down the track smoothly, there's not much else that can go wrong or would be expensive to fix.
One note of caution, it is extremely drive side heavy, probably 80% of the weight is on that side.  So if you are going to lift it off the rails to transport, use straps or such so that they will not slip if it tilts radically.  Been there, done that.
Good luck,

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

nitrousbaby
QuoteAs for moving logs I have a case with grapplers and can't hooks
Those be "cant" hooks, not "cannot" hooks...   ;D  just sayin.. and welcome to the Forestry Forum.   ;)

Prolly the computer forces that spelling, come to think about it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

Quote from: beenthere on May 22, 2014, 07:56:02 PM
nitrousbaby
QuoteAs for moving logs I have a case with grapplers and can't hooks
Those be "cant" hooks, not "cannot" hooks...   ;D  just sayin.. and welcome to the Forestry Forum.   ;)

Prolly the computer forces that spelling, come to think about it.

My spell check always places the apostrophe and I always pull it back out even when I mean 'can not'. 
I cant think of  a more appropriate spelling for the Forestry Forum.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

nitrousbaby

Cant hook I know lol used them for years in tree work. But trust me it won't be the last bad grammer you see out of me. Got the mill home it seems to be in excellent shape came with 12 new blades and 8 resharpened one and 4 dull blades. The old man had a trolley set up to bring logs to his mill so we used the electronic chain fall to puck up and load the mill up. Tomorrow I'll set it up and see how many logs I screw up before I get the hang of it lol. I'm as excited as opening day of deer season.

customsawyer

Glad you got the mill home. You are going to have some fun today.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

21incher

Congratulations on your new mill. Sharp blade and correct band tension and you will have a stack of perfect lumber in no time.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

GDinMaine

Congrats to the new mill.  It will produce just as good lumber as your friend's hydraulic mill.  Don't worry about that part.  Start with the pine and smile all the way.  When you are ready for a bit more challenge, roll on an ash log.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

nitrousbaby

Well had a little bit of time this weekend. Sawed up about 180 board feet of red oak ,90 bdf of soft Mable and 45 bdf of hard maple and wow that hard maple will sure slow things up a bit. So far its cutting straight and smooth. My buddy stopped down giving me pointers on when to roll logs and where to try to put your knots and keeping the grain centered. Also he speaks of cants and heart wood but as of now that's over my head... I'm enjoying this mill already

Thank You Sponsors!