iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Fun of loading bigger logs you need a rocker log to get them on the truck. That one log on the left was 25k at 40'.

doc henderson

very cool.  do you use it as a pendulum to to slide/roll the bigger log on?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Skeans1

That's exactly what we do sometimes if you can get one to pop up you'll back the truck under or turn the bunks to swing it in.

ehp

ya that beats the white pine I'm cutting by way more than abit lol

nativewolf

@ehp about as small as we get here.  Too bad the butt has some sweep.  

We have nothing like @Skeans1 logs though .   Is that your excavator loading?  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

gman98

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 31, 2021, 10:22:25 PM
Ed, processor prices are NUTS, I could sell my Bells 6000 for 10-20k more than i paid for it because its lower hour and pre-emmisions. Im going to bring that 2040 back, go thru it, ive got a 32' hydraulic elevator already, hang a stupid price tag on it. Im picking up these 2 dozers in a little bit and the less I have to come out of pocket the better 😆.

Barge, you yarding wood with those dozers or just using them to clean up the landing?
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

upnut

@Skeans-  Your pictures brought back a flood of memories....46 years ago a 21 year old Michigan kid visited a buddy living in Hoopa California who worked as a forester for BLM. He took me on a tour of a couple high-lead logging operations, quite an eye opening experience! Saw a couple three-log loads coming off the mountain, quite a sight for a flatlander. Also visited the Samoa Cookhouse in Eureka, Ca. If I remember correctly, the movie "Sometimes a Great Notion" was popular at that time, a great movie revolving around high-lead logging. Enough rambling...Thanks for the pics!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Quote from: gman98 on April 17, 2021, 11:24:52 AM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 31, 2021, 10:22:25 PM
Ed, processor prices are NUTS, I could sell my Bells 6000 for 10-20k more than i paid for it because its lower hour and pre-emmisions. Im going to bring that 2040 back, go thru it, ive got a 32' hydraulic elevator already, hang a stupid price tag on it. Im picking up these 2 dozers in a little bit and the less I have to come out of pocket the better 😆.

Barge, you yarding wood with those dozers or just using them to clean up the landing?
The J will stay on my log jobs, want to find a decent root rake for that 6. Quickest way to go broke is to skid wood with a bulldozer. 

BargeMonkey

Old greenhorn saw this the other day before another 5acres was on the ground 😆 making clearcuts great again. 

cleaning up another clearcut... starting to see a pattern here... 🤷‍♂️😆. My buddy the "Firewood king" needs to step up his A-game because its lunch money time, over 2000 cord on these 2 jobs. That ProPac will make a man cry what it will put up in a day. 

Trying to give the "Eskimo loader" a new home, ive got someone wanting that 2 family ive got in town, go to VT and buy that hood, at the point i need to go circle saw. 

BargeMonkey

Wasnt making a separate thread but MAYBE someone else here has seen one... 🤷‍♂️... 

Looked at tearing a barn down today, my father looks across the yard and his eyes get wide. Asks the landowner and carpenter who was there if they knew what that is ? NOPE... owned the place for over 50yrs and they always assumed it was some type of shelter ? 
Back in the day you had 2 choices around here, a methane system or a Delco light plant, we have a functional Delco light plant in the barn we saved. My father says thats the 3rd methane system he's seen ever and in the best shape. Hooked up to the house and barn so you had gas for your lights... so thats prior to 1940s. Dropped the crystal / powder in and it mixed with water, gas came off and went out. 

another 60acres ive got to hammer off when I get time, EAB is starting to get pretty bad here, wont be an ash tree left when i get done. 

nativewolf

@mike_belben Just wanted to show some pics that were not nice.  Mostly it's good though.  Even that hollow YP cleaned up 15' up the trunk.  Still had 30' of good logs.

The CO that's stained is really just destined for fenceboards.  The local ag supply place that supplies fence operators is just about out :).  I'm not in barge's territory or in war with anyone but I would like to get a handle on the local fence board market.  
Liking Walnut

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 18, 2021, 11:51:42 PM
Old greenhorn saw this the other day before another 5acres was on the ground 😆 making clearcuts great again.

cleaning up another clearcut... starting to see a pattern here... 🤷‍♂️😆. My buddy the "Firewood king" needs to step up his A-game because its lunch money time, over 2000 cord on these 2 jobs. That ProPac will make a man cry what it will put up in a day.
Cripes Barge, you didn't waste any time! Looks like you are already to the top of that ridge. What are you finding, Red Oak mostly, or did you tickle any white?  I am still dancing with the folks on that big order trying to figure out what they want. but I do have the one smaller group order. Wondering if those trees are still swelling buds at that altitude since it got cold and the snow came through. Glad you got the hoses done. Are you working that lot mostly at night or during the day?
 Leave some for me please! ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

so was this methane plant a manure to gas lighting system?
Praise The Lord

HousewrightVA

Not methane. Carbide. Like miners helmets long ago. Most carbide generators around here were concrete. I have seen a fair amount of old farm houses with 3/8 iron pipe in the walls to supply the lights
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

Autocar

I used Carbide in my coon hunting light I remember running though the woods chasing my dogs and the flame would be five inches long and the canister on my hip was so hot I figured it was going to explode or trip over a limb anything just shake the canister and it made the flame grow and the can hot. Good memories our country should go back to those days life was a lot simpler. 
Bill

Skeans1

Some fun in some western red cedar bring your long sleeve shirt well cutting it.

BargeMonkey

I know guys who swear by ice chains. 🤮 there's a stump on the edge of this hill, youve got to point yourself at the bank get your 2 front tires over and your back will slide around, 648 didnt wanna do that 😆 Hes got common sense enough to STOP, wasnt far from being stuffed down in the trees. 

I still think my 460 will walk all over that thing 🤷‍♂️ 

ordering a set of rings chains for the back, for the ground i work forget those ice chains. 
I need to get some good stroker pictures, im working with NASTY HM, i mean bushy limby crunchy stuff, ProPac don't care 🤷‍♂️

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 19, 2021, 07:16:01 AM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 18, 2021, 11:51:42 PM

Cripes Barge, you didn't waste any time! Looks like you are already to the top of that ridge. What are you finding, Red Oak mostly, or did you tickle any white?  I am still dancing with the folks on that big order trying to figure out what they want. but I do have the one smaller group order. Wondering if those trees are still swelling buds at that altitude since it got cold and the snow came through. Glad you got the hoses done. Are you working that lot mostly at night or during the day?
Leave some for me please! ;D :D
That whole block from wall to wall lays on the ground. I got after it Friday night and Saturday, the center was all oak, couple white oaks, far upper left corner was all popple 🤮 ive got 7-10 days left on this other job before I start moving, would really like to have 2-3 more blocks on the ground first. Got another 34acres adjoining to cut i picked up Saturday, some decent oak on that job, guy wants the same thing, couple food plots and his view, "slightly hammered".... 😆 between jobs like this and work with Prentice I can see a bigger buncher with a hotsaw coming, feed the monster. 

Old Greenhorn

Geez man, you didn't waste any time. How long do you think it will be before the skidders and stroker start working there? And I guess that 34 acre job is the one across the road? I don't suppose you assessed the bud swell on that white oak you cut was? ;D If they haven't swelled yet, they are good for me.
 I start another small TSI hand cutting job tomorrow and have a conference call about mushroom logs on Wednesday, after that I should know more and give you a holler.
 Glad you didn't lose the 648 today, that looks pretty dang sketchy to me. :D I am guessing it didn't feel too well from the cab either. Too bad you don't have a dozer with a ripper that you can drag around it then rip the dang thing out.
 Keep hammerin' man.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

teakwood

Went to the inauguration party this weekend, they really did one heck of a job building that roof, everyone is absolutely pleased with the result.

Back to my quarry, finally got time to work in it. need to hurry, rainseason is coming!!

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

looks like the workmen trust your wood products.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

I didnt realize metal studs could hold all that! 

Beautiful outcome.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!