iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red maple or sugar maple

Started by jwillett2009, September 25, 2016, 03:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwillett2009

How can I just tell the difference between red maple and sugar maple in the sapling stage? Of course, when they get larger, the leaf shapes start to become distinct. I am looking for a way to select seedlings on the forest floor of my sugar bush to protect from deer. I do grow red maple for sap too, however, when given a choice in any given area, I would choose a future sugar maple.
60 acre woodlot, 455 rancher husqavarna, MS660 stihl, 196? Massey ferguson farm tractor with three point hitch, Granberg Mark III Alaskan CSM, Sierra 1500

Ken

I'm thinking that if the seedlings are on the floor of your sugarbush they are probably sugar maple as red maple doesn't generally regenerate in the shade.   The leaves of the sugar maple have a distinct U shape in the lobe of the leaf.   Also a red maple leaf edge generally appears serrated (saw like).  The buds of a red maple are short, knobby and reddish and are also arranged in a cluster whereas a sugar maple bud looks more like a bullet.  Hope this helps
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WDH

Yes, look at the leaf margins.  Sugar maple has entire (non-toothed) margins between the lobes.  Red maple has toothed margins between the lobes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!