iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

center rounds in splitting chamber

Started by h2ofwlr, March 31, 2018, 08:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2ofwlr

looking for some insight to center cut rounds  in the splitting chamber.  it appears to me all of the major manufacturers have too wide of bottoms on their chambers. I see built rite advertises  that their machine centers but i cant find any vids to check out addressing the problem. Anyone have any homemade solutions or suggestions> thanks mark

mike_belben

I cant remember which of the hundreds of processor vids i saw that had it but someone put some spring loaded paddles in the drop zone.  The softened the landing and centered.  

Think of the double door gates at the collector of a pinball machine. 
Praise The Lord

h2ofwlr

Mike do you remember if they were using  air or hydraulics  to center? mark

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

hedgerow

Mark 
You didn't say if you are building a firewood processor or not. I made one a few years ago. Before any one asks I don't have a way to post pictures. I made the mistake of using a splitter I already had and bumped it up to a six inch cylinder and a six way wedge. I have a lot of trouble centering my rounds. My pusher plate is in the way of making a nice splitting chamber. Mine also drops the rounds straight down to the chamber I wouldn't do that again either I would have the rounds roll down to the chamber. I would have the splitter and infeed off set of each other and a ramp down to the chamber. Make sure you have easy access to the chamber so you re position a round you can. I had to redo make mind so I could get to the chamber. Look a lot of U-tube and build the splitter for a processor not like a normal splitter and the rounds will center. Look at Dyna or Twister splitting chambers.   

Gearbox

On the BT6870 I used 2 drive way brooms . worked well but would not hold up . Now I have put 2 X 4 sq. tube on each side . Centers 8 and up well smaller I don't care how they split . I mostly do only boiler wood and 4 way above 9 or 10 inch .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

mike_belben

Why does anyone make a flat bottom chamber anyhow?  
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

Quote from: mike_belben on April 02, 2018, 08:12:27 AM
Why does anyone make a flat bottom chamber anyhow?  
Your right why would you? Well when I put my firewood processor together I had a heavy homemade splitter to use. Looking back I should rebuilt the splitter so I could of had a funnel style splitting chamber. I do mostly 24 inch and up wood so the taper I do have with the flat bottom works ok. I wish I would started from the ground up but time and money is always a problem.  

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!