iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last Logging job

Started by loggah, March 09, 2015, 05:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

A few years back i got out of full time logging,i had my wife take a picture the other day of where the job was, Blake Mtn. in Thornton N.H.
  Its not much of a Mtn. as far as height went ,but it was a steep and boney. !!!! ;D ;D 180 acres of pretty nice hardwood,the reason was no way to get to it. We played winch the skidder up, then winch the D5 up and then build a road from the top down.I spent a week or more with the dozer and a small excavator trying to build roads to get to the ledge plateaus where we could reach the wood. In the end there was still a place where we had to winch the skidders up backward on our main road ,just bare ledge,but no problem coming down. In one place off the side of the hitch road about 80'-100' drop off !! I always like looking at some of the great ,fairly flat logging ,areas you guys post pictures of !!!! ;D ;D ;D

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

BargeMonkey

Anytime you see vertical rock ledge you know it is steep.  :D  another local logger is cutting a steep one right now, gets his 460C to the top and his help runs a 1/2 chains thru the clevis on the blade corner around a big tree so when he turns around he doesnt flop.

loggah

We had flat areas we could turn on,but it had to be logged in summer,no way could you get up there in the winter. While i was logging that job Diesel fuel went from $2.00 a gallon to $5.00 a gallon !! >:( >:( thats pretty much why i got out of logging was the fuel spike, and the government basically shutting down logging in the White Mtn. national forest!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Straightgrain

Looks like a rugged mountain to me; a tough place to earn a living, and probably an area where a helicopter would be used to get the logs out these days. 

No doubt, there are a lot of "former" business owners that closed their doors these days as well.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

so il logger

I bet you have some story's about working that mountain loggah. Looks like a pain to me  :)

Ken

I think if I had to log a mountain like that I would quit as well.  Must have been a few head scratching days trying to figure out how to access the timber.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

47sawdust

Loggah,
As they say,"No hill for a climber".
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

David-L

Thats Hardcore, hope there was good timber. You could probably here the steel spinning off the drivetrain on that one. Nice pic.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

loggah

It  was a bit hard on tire chains!  and there were some places we just couldnt get to.There was only one place where we could get up thru the 10 thru 30 cubic yard boulders that the glacier left at the bottom! ;D ;D When we first started up the hill we had to cut a bunch of wood and throw it in between the boulders so the skidder and dozer could get over it,needed something for the tracks and chains to bite into. ;D

Offthebeatenpath

Yeah, I think that job would have put me out of the logging business too, but for different reasons than yours Loggah.  I scramble around that general area on foot and often think about how and when it was cut off.  Is Blake Mtn. on USFS land? I'd like to try and find your roads sometime.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

mills

My goodness! I just can't believe some of the places you boys pull logs from. The physical toll a job like that must take on man and machine has to be tremendous. Hidden machine cost from these kind of jobs will pop up years later. Not to mention turning young men old. Y'all have my respect.

Dave Shepard

Sounds like you needed to devise a yarder.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

Its actually just off exit 29 of interstate 93, private land that picture is kind of the tip of the iceberg. It abuts government land on one side. Years ago i pretty near tore an achilles tendon off basically in half while pulling winch cable. that was one of the reasons i had to be a bit more careful.

Peter Drouin

One time I grab a winch cable off the back of a skidder with a ton of chokers on it . The thing  was 150 lb I bet. I ask the logger you pull all this all the time?  :D
Yep he said.
I don't know how that could be fun. :D :D :D :D

I'm going to saw them. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

I figured that professional football players would give up after a week or so !!! ;D ;D

David-L

I would much rather work in all conditions and hold a tool the revs at 13k plus and ride a large four wheeler any day of the week. Just something about logging thats addictive.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: David-L on March 14, 2015, 07:25:20 PM
I would much rather work in all conditions and hold a tool the revs at 13k plus and ride a large four wheeler any day of the week. Just something about logging thats addictive.

We all do what we love to do 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

stoneeaglefarm

great stories about the challenges of the ledges and around boulders, Still log full time but I must admit after 30 years in the woods I avoid such places, I logged a set of ledges were we backed skidder down as far as we could, Had 2 separate curls of 100 foot airplane cable and ran them down to wood, Pull up, unhook, re hook and go, Was beautiful oak and hard maple, black birch, It was brutal, But I loved it, No break downs on the job, Except the ones in your head when you got done each day and realized what you were doing. Just love the woods, Its challenge and the in direct peace it gives me.

Thank You Sponsors!