iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to Cut Wood Pegs / Dowels

Started by asca65290, June 10, 2011, 12:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asca65290

What is the best way to cut wood pegs or dowels out of a chunk of wood or a log?  I would like to make short (8-12") dowels out of Osage Orange.

Thanks for your help!  :)

SwampDonkey

Dowel makers, like the Veritas Dowel Maker, use square material and a socket that slips over the squared piece and a drill and run through the jig.  You can search Lee Valley for one , model #05J45.01
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

• Shaper with round over bit.  Use longer stock. Cut to length.
    V block with a stop and hand plane.
    A lathe.
    Drill a hole in steel plate.  sharpen hole edge and pound stock thru to make peg or dowel
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_bb

I think of a Dowel as completely round as in turned on a lathe.  A peg however...  For timber frame pegs, you use a Froe and rive a straight grained log chunk into square blanks, keep them wet, and draw knife them on a shaving horse.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

shelbycharger400

about a month ago i found a 24 spindle lathe on craigslist with duplicator.    I cannot remember the brand. they make gunstocks and such.    The picture looked intimidating. with 15 in between the centers.   One motor drove 4 centers.

Phorester

How many do you want to make?  If just a few, maybe a hatchet for roughing them out and a and drawknife or even a pocket knife for smoothing. 

If you need a bunch, or if you'd be making some every year, maybe go with one of the options suggested by the others here.

asca65290

Thanks for everyones help.  I was looking for advice on how I could make a number of them relatively quickly.  I like the Dowel Maker product recommended by SwampDonkey.  Thanks again for everyone's help!

ljmathias

I bought a box of 40 or 50 from a dedicated maker- for the price, and given the time it would take me to learn how to do it and then make them myself, I couldn't justify not buying them.... plus they offer a wax coating that makes them slide in better.  Just my opinion, though, time being money and all.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

low_48

Here is a link to a site for making a jig that uses a chisel as the cutting tool. A cheap version of the Veritas jig.
http://woodgears.ca/dowel/making.html

terrifictimbersllc

For timber framing pegs I rip wood into square stock corresponding to the right diameter.  Then set the table saw at 45 degrees and make octagons out of them.  Goes pretty fast.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!