iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

330tj

Started by Terry1971, September 20, 2014, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry1971

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, gonna try this again. 1st post didn't work. Just bought my 1st skidder last weekend, a 330tj. Needs a little TLC, sorry a lot of TLC. Thinking about repowering with a 4BT, the 353 is very tired and is leaking water into the oil pan. I know the 353 runs cheap but they are soooo loud. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Also the trans. seems fine in reverse and 1st but 2nd seems to slip a little. Anyone know what type of oil the tranny uses? Got no books with it. Any advise would be helpful as well. Thanks.

BargeMonkey

Straight manual trans ? A 4BT swap isnt easy but would be worth it, wish I had done it on my 230. Your slip is probably a worn out or miss adjusted clutch. Your probably looking at 4-5k easy doing the swap yourself, maybe 8k having someone do it.

Terry1971

No its a 2 speed Allison auto.

BargeMonkey

Ouch. Theres alot of guys on here who are die hard jack enthusiasts, im sure someones got an idea on your tranny slip.

thecfarm

Terry1971,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Terry1971

Thanks thecfarm. Have bin reading the forum for awhile now, find most everyones thoughts interesting.

Neilo

The 330 has the Allison TTB 2220-1 powershift in it. The trans is not covered in the TJ manuals. You can get an Allison manual or look up what fluid it takes.

deerguy

Welcome Terry1971. I have the same 330TJ and i dont recall  buying anything special for tranny oil. Whatever ATF they had on the floor in a pail when I grabbed hyd oil and engine oil is what she runs now. I have the complete parts manual for the skidder and complete Detroit Diesel manual for that 353 if you're needing help. The DD manual is on a memory stick due to size and the TJ parts book can be copied.
Not quite sure how yours runs in 2nd gear, but mine likes to have some speed up and not be pulling too hard when I shift into 2nd. Otherwise it will be a bit sluggish until it gets some RPM and some speed back. And that is with a new charge pump installed on the Allison.
As for the noise, well thats why we own 353's...lol. I just put a new Donaldson muffler with an extra 8" of pipe over the roof, and can't believe how much quieter it is. Now you can only hear it scream at 3/4 of a mile on a quiet morning !!!
Enjoy the machine and stay safe !

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

Terry1971

Thanks for the info. Deerguy. I have a small hill in my hay field, when I drive around the field and come to the hill the speed really slows down. The engine RPMs don't seem to drop to much, but it does come down some. It is a very tired 353. I put the park brake on (yes it works very well) and stepped on foot brake, it will push right thru from a dead stop starting out in 2nd. I'm going to look at another 330 this weekend that is a 1973 (mine is a 1975) and was never used for logging.

Terry

deerguy

Terry,
Check your inbox as I'll PM you the name of the company and the p/n for a new charge pump for your Allison. My machine got to the point where it didnt want to move more than half the time when cold as the pump wouldn't pick up oil. It also wouldnt do anything in 2nd gear. Yours might be something different, but at least you'll have the info. Not hard to change, it's located right between your knees bolted onto the tranny facing you.

Keith

Terry1971

Again THANKS for the info Deerguy, that will be very useful. Hoping this other machine works out, if nothing else I should have lots of spare parts.

treeslayer2003

i am not up on the allison, but i can tell you that a clark powershift will not perform well at all if the engine is not tuned right. has nothing to do with wore out but every thing to do with the injector and governer tune.

deerguy

Hey, I finally found my electronic copy of the parts book for the 330/360 TJ's....thought you might want a copy !!

Terry1971

Thanks Deerguy I will be looking at that. The 330 is going to sit for a while, I bought a old 240 im fixing up now as it need a lot less work.

Thank You Sponsors!