iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunting DOVE for FOOD.....Emmmmmm!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 02, 2013, 08:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

One of my favorite wild game meats.  The breasts smothered in gravy and slow cooked in the oven and served over rice, Mmmmm. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPIKER

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 02, 2013, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: SPIKER on September 02, 2013, 09:14:25 PM
Have not hunt them since the season first got started way back when in Ohio...   Ate a LOT of them when we were younger our diet was 50% or better wild game & fresh fish..   Raised and ate a lot of Pigeons too just as good and more meat on them ;)

Mark

I've never tried Pigeon Mark. How do you cook them?

Pretty much just about anyway ya want, fry em with a light coating of flour//pepper mix or maybe some shore lunch mix seemed good to me.   The Bake nice too with seasoning on em just about like the Dove above...   Never tried the Bacon Wrap tho anything "Bacon Wrapped" has to be awesome 8) 8) lol   Most times we pulled out the breast meat and tossed rest to the cats or used em for catfish bait...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Den Socling

When I was a kid I had a flock of big white pigeons. And I had a grandmother who was a long time poultry farmer. Every now in then I'd find a bunch of my pigeons on the dinner table.  :( I guess they were good but I didn't like eating my pigeons or rabbits. When I went out and shot wild pigeons and rabbits, that was a different matter. I loved the wild fish and game I could get.

drobertson

Quote from: WDH on September 03, 2013, 07:56:57 PM
One of my favorite wild game meats.  The breasts smothered in gravy and slow cooked in the oven and served over rice, Mmmmm.
Close to the same here, floured up cooked in butter, covered with the lid, then the gravy and rice,  that bacon wrapped did look pretty good too,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Texas Ranger

Breast out, jalepeno in the cavity, wrap in bacon, cook over mesquite fire.  Um um um.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

drobertson

Quote from: Texas Ranger on September 05, 2013, 06:09:08 PM
Breast out, jalepeno in the cavity, wrap in bacon, cook over mesquite fire.  Um um um.
I was wondering, how do you get crispy bacon and keep the meat from over cooking?   I wrap allot of deer in bacon but often have the meat more done than desired,   thanks,                david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Don't think the bacon gets crispy..... ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

That sounds really good TR, David I like my bacon crispy, I'd throw it on the grill for a few minutes each side first then wrap the meat and put it back on, I like it real crispy though  ;).

Compensation

I like mine how Texas ranger does but with BBQ. IMO dove is some of the best meat to eat. You have to be careful though, its a little addicting. Might kill a power line or two. :rifle:
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

beenthere

I suspect the hunting for mourning doves would be more correct. WI now has a season for hunting mourning doves, and it doesn't include barn pigeons. Pigeons tend to be larger than the dove around here.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/dove.pdf

Getting a dove season in WI was a very traumatic experience for a number of "dove" lovers. Our bird of peace was going to be blasted out of the sky.  They are the "pigs" of the bird population IMO.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

I remember growing up down south, my dad would take us boys with his group friends to a large farm in Camden, SC.  Lots of birds, great hunts, never will forget those hunts, especially how I was put between two older guys, both with dogs,  I laugh about it now, but not back then, they would rob my birds, and I could hear them laughing at me :D   at the end of the day all birds were divided up anyway, but as a youngster, we all wanted to show off a full vest,   david

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 02, 2013, 09:22:24 PM
Quote from: julio on September 02, 2013, 09:20:14 PM
I hope RAIDER don't see that it could be a road trip

At least Raider would stay a few days. WEEKEND SAWYER would show up, eat my Dove breast and leave.  :D

Yep, I would! But I might leave you a pickle or 2! 8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on September 23, 2013, 01:01:12 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 02, 2013, 09:22:24 PM
Quote from: julio on September 02, 2013, 09:20:14 PM
I hope RAIDER don't see that it could be a road trip

At least Raider would stay a few days. WEEKEND SAWYER would show up, eat my Dove breast and leave.  :D

Yep, I would! But I might leave you a pickle or 2! 8)

Road trip with free food at the end I'm in!!!! 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

julio

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Nope, not a pickled peach.  They are scarce I hear. 

Weekend_Sawyer

I do not believe in the existence of pickled peaches.
I think it's all rumor.
I knew a guy who had a cousin whose aunt knew someone who heard about them too. ::)

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

If Poston picked a peck of pickled peaches
how many pickled peaches would be in a peck?

drobertson

A pile of pickled peaches in a peck,
are better than one, what the heck,
it will be enough for sure,
to satisfy anyone's urge,
this is about dove for sure,
but if dessert is required then give me a serve,
david

julio

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on September 24, 2013, 12:55:26 PM
If Poston picked a peck of pickled peaches
how many pickled peaches would be in a peck?
ZERO 8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If Roy Rumpus road a Raw-bone racer,
Where's the Raw-bone race Roy Rumpus road?

In S.C. eating Pickled Peaches.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Weekend_Sawyer

I took my lady Ruth for a ride one day,
I at 65 i hit a bump and rode on Ruthlessly.
Pickled Peaches.

Thank You Sponsors!