iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Availability of RS Chain

Started by 49er, September 12, 2015, 10:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49er

This is comments on my search for a loop of RS-91DL-.063 chain. I prefer .063 on long bars. I normally run Oregon because I think Stihl is way over priced in my area. However, at a GTG. competition rules require Stihl unfiled chain. So I go to my local Stihl dealer, who is very good and he orders me a loop. I stopped in about 4 days latter and he says the distributor is out it is on backorder.
   Well, yesterday I called all the dealers around,about 8, within 60 miles. About three of these dealers are John Deere dealers. None had the chain I needed. Several dealers acted like they didn't know what I was asking for, long pauses on the phone. One John Deere dealer said they had a roll of it but most people didn't like paying their $85 an hour labor charge for making up a loop of chain. ::)
  So here I am 4 days form travel to the GTG and no chain. I am sure I can borrow a chain or bar and chain from someone but it seems like a sad state of a fairs to me. Imagine how much chain Stihl could sell if it was more available. Well, my rant is over, I feel better. :)

Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

sawguy21

It's about sales volume, they are not going to stock it for one or two loops a year. I know my local dealer does but we are in logging country.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

49er

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 12, 2015, 11:25:27 AM
It's about sales volume, they are not going to stock it for one or two loops a year. I know my local dealer does but we are in logging country.
Maybe, but ya would think the distributor would have some?
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

49er give Madsens  in Centralia,  Washington a call . They could probably have a loop of it to you in a couple of days
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

nitehawk55

Most don't get much requests for 36RS chain , it's mostly 33RS or 35RS
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

Al_Smith

Why in the world would anybody require Stihl chain and an unfiled loop at that ?I suppose next no modified saws and stock mufflers .

49er

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 12, 2015, 08:19:05 PM
Why in the world would anybody require Stihl chain and an unfiled loop at that ?I suppose next no modified saws and stock mufflers .
The saws are highly modified and if they were allowed detailed race chain I wouldn't be competitive. Now why Stihl chain? I don't know they didn't ask me. :-\
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

Al_Smith

Well whatever is,is .However it makes no sense to me GTG or real race because I've ran in both,two national competitions BTW.Didn't fair real well in the later but it was fun . 8)

The power is only one portion of a trifecta it takes to win .The other 2/3 are the cutting system and the sawyer .

49er

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 12, 2015, 09:58:58 PM

The power is only one portion of a trifecta it takes to win .The other 2/3 are the cutting system and the sawyer .
I agree completely. My saw may have a chance but not with me running it.  :D   I just want to have fun and it's more fun when ya participate.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: 49er on September 12, 2015, 10:42:30 AM
   This is comments on my search for a loop of RS-91DL-.063 chain. However, at a GTG. competition rules require Stihl unfiled chain.

At this GTG (which unfortunately is past) if they stipulate only Stihl new unfilled chain, make sure you use a loop of square ground 36RSLK.

49er

[/quote]
At this GTG (which unfortunately is past) if they stipulate only Stihl new unfilled chain, make sure you use a loop of square ground 36RSLK.
[/quote]

No, the GTG is this weekend in Murry, ky. That would be a good advantage RSLK but they want a level playing field as far as chain goes. Round ground is the only choice.
  I will be traveling 240 miles Friday so I am going to call some dealers on the way. After the gtg. our plan is to make a trip to Utah with the camper. I just hope it hasn't burnt up. :-\
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Only advice I can give you is run a 7 pin rim sprocket and don't run the chain tight.
The new chain will stretch after a couple of cuts, but to win a speed bucking event with a stock saw is have the chain sag a little. Don't go snug as you would run it in the woods.

49er

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 14, 2015, 01:20:39 PM
Only advice I can give you is run a 7 pin rim sprocket and don't run the chain tight.
The new chain will stretch after a couple of cuts, but to win a speed bucking event with a stock saw is have the chain sag a little. Don't go snug as you would run it in the woods.

7pin or 8? with a 28inch bar. What's your opinion. I normally cut with a seven. But this saw was done by Eric Copsley and is pretty strong. I was going to do some cutting tomorrow, maybe I'll experiment a little.
I gotcha on the chain tension.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: 49er on September 14, 2015, 03:44:31 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 14, 2015, 01:20:39 PM

7pin or 8? with a 28inch bar. What's your opinion. I normally cut with a seven. But this saw was done by Eric Copsley and is pretty strong. I was going to do some cutting tomorrow, maybe I'll experiment a little.
I gotcha on the chain tension.
Your saw may be strong but pulling a full kerf sized new  round ground chain with a 28" bar....trust me a 7 pin will out cut the 8 pin. Use a stop watch to compare  both and you will see.

49er

[/quote]
Your saw may be strong but pulling a full kerf sized new  round ground chain with a 28" bar....trust me a 7 pin will out cut the 8 pin. Use a stop watch to compare  both and you will see.
[/quote]

I do trust your judgement. :)
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

49er

I won't get to run my 390 in the competition. Tuesday my wife step in a hole and broke both bones in her ankle. The small bone now has a plate about six inches long holding the three pieces of bones together. :'(
She comes home today. Eight weeks before she can put any weight on it.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

sawguy21

OOOH!!! That hurts thinking about it. Take good care of her, looks like you are chief cook and bottle washer now along with laundryman and nurse.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Sorry to hear that, about the competition.. but more so for your wife's bad luck.
Our live's can change in a hurry...

Neighbor farmer got his leg tangled up in the auger conveyor while feeding his cows and ended up losing that leg above the knee. He and wife were just in the process of shutting down the dairy farm with one load of milk cows tentatively sold within a few days. Their retirement life changes oh so suddenly.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

49er

Thanks for all your support guys. They may keep her another day.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

Thank You Sponsors!