iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

doc henderson

when you hear the honk, do not look up for long.  I remember at a camp Alaska one year, a bunch flew over and as I watched, I thought it is amazing that i have never been pooped on.  splat to my left chest.  fairly dry, it wiped off, and I finished my breakfast.  I have on several occasions seen a flock stop and hover over head.  once was at a funeral for a little girl Natasha about 5 y/o I tried to save out by (Hays).  her mom's boyfriend was abusive.  they could not find him, but 2 days later found him hung to death behind a flying J truck stop.  He did it himself.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ron barnes

Spent a few days in our house in Cartersville, GA earlier this week.  The bluebirds had 5 eggs when we left yesterday.  The bluebirds are building a nest out from the sunroom as we speak here in SC.  They are so much fun to watch.

aigheadish

I went out and mowed the back field, this evening, about 2 acres that was around 3 feet tall. After a couple passes I noticed a big ol' red tailed hawk swoop down into the overgrown property line, then back up with a snake! The hawk proceeded to hang out while I mowed and catch several different animals. A couple times it landed and hung out until I got within about 12-15 feet with the tractor. Too cool.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

ron barnes

We had our first hummingbirds of the year yesterday.  Two male birds showed up.  They were 4 days later this year than last year.

SwampDonkey

We had a 5 day storm here, only birds were crows, ravens, starlings, crackles and geese. Mostly rain then 3" of snow at the end for good measure.  ffcheesy
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Saw a flock of 10 wild turkey, but they flew up and took to the spruce trees. They have become real skittish since we started a hunting season on them.  ffcheesy

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Seeing some turkey activity around here too. This video (rumble) of a rafter of about 30 hens followed up by several tom's caught on trail cam.

Video
https://rumble.com/v4moih2-turkey-rafter.html

Screen shot
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Nice flock of Wisconsin turkeys.
~Ron

Old saw fixer

We had a big tom in the backyard yesterday morning.
Blue birds and cardinals around.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Chuck White

I saw a pair of Flickers in the backyard this morning while I was cleaning out the birdhouses!

I found a dead Eastern Bluebird in one of the houses, it appears that he was an early arrival this Spring, no evidence of external injury, possibly froze to death!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: Chuck White on April 02, 2024, 12:42:42 PMI saw a pair of Flickers in the backyard this morning while I was cleaning out the birdhouses!

That's uncanny... saw one yesterday for the first-time down here! Couldn't get a picture, was too far away.
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

SwampDonkey

About 10 robins in the back yard this afternoon. Hard to see in the shade of trees.   Killdeer have been back for a couple days. ffsmiley

doc henderson

We have a cold snap, but a few days ago it was :sunny:  the birds were everywhere, flapping around and making all sorts of noise.  must be working out the apartment situation.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I was given a Bluebird house but too late for this nesting.  I have Bluebirds each day and some have lit on the house and even looked inside, but I think that they are already laying in their own house/nest and were only curious.

Since most Bluebirds lay and raise more than one clutch each year, I am hoping that they may still be attracted to my house.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Quote from: Magicman on April 02, 2024, 07:19:34 PMI was given a Bluebird house but too late for this nesting.  I have Bluebirds each day and some have lit on the house and even looked inside, but I think that they are already laying in their own house/nest and were only curious.

Since most Bluebirds lay and raise more than one clutch each year, I am hoping that they may still be attracted to my house.
I've had summers with three clutch's of bluebirds. Don't give up on them. Often a pair will act like they have it going, but after a couple weeks will move on for another pair to get more serious. Assume the first pair just moves further north, or she had a headache all the time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KEC

Chuck, Hard to say what killed the bluebird. They are around here all winter and they are fairly hardy. One of the best things you can do is to let some Staghorn Sumac grow. The sumac seeds are eaten by bluebirds and dozens of other birds. I've seen catbirds eating sumac seeds from the previous year in July.  Checking stands of Staghorn Sumac is a good way to see bluebirds in the winter.

WV Sawmiller

I woke up to the sound of "Tutt, tutt, tutt" outside and walked to my window and watched these turkey hens fly off the roost and land by my woodshed in the pasture. We have had several days of soaking rain and they are picking up drowned  worms all over the place. I saw the same bunch I suspect a couple days ago in the front  yard walking along the creek. It is funny they don't want to fly over 6' of water and will walk hundreds of yards trying to find a dry spot to cross sometimes.

I need to check my bluebird boxes too as one had a clutch of eggs 3-4 weeks ago and I saw an adult duck in there a couple days ago. I took a pretty new looking nest out of the second box in case it was last years and saw a couple birds hanging around it later so they may have rebuilt it by now and have eggs laid. I have never had them use both boxes at the same time and suspect they are too close. They use both but alternate.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Saw just 2 turkeys this morning at the edge of the Christmas trees and later 30 geese flying over. 3 day snow storm approaching. 

Chuck White

The dead Bluebird I found in the birdhouse was still plump and flexible, so I have determined that he hadn't been there very long, ie: early arrival.

KEC: There are lots of places in this area where Staghorn Sumac grows, so I'll see if I can get a few shoots and plant a little patch on the edge of my backyard!  I like that idea!   :thumbsup:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

A few minutes after I took the picture of the 7 hens they drifted back to the woodshed and I looked out and found a couple of gobblers had joined the party and they were really showing off their stuff. I took a couple of pictures of them strutting and showing their stuff but then I had to leave to go run some errands. Here is a picture with the boys.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

The first time I saw sumac around the farm here was when a dozer made a woods road off the field. Musta been seed on the blade. Lots of it grew up at mom's father's place in those old pastures and along the river. Most of the sumac around here isn't too far back from the Saint John river. Stuff grows along the valley that you don't see 30 miles from it. Not long ago I found a wild grape in the back yard. That grows like a jungle along the river, in places it comes out into the road along the old highway.

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 04, 2024, 08:08:56 AMI need to check my bluebird boxes too as one had a clutch of eggs 3-4 weeks ago and I saw an adult duck in there a couple days ago.
Is that a very large bluebird house or a very small duck? :huh?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Ha Ha. 

It was an adult bluebird ducking (Slang term for "Entering") into the bluebird box.
Howard Green

thecfarm

Turkeys are under the oak tree right out back. We just had about 8 inches of snow. 
But I like your picture better. Green grass!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: thecfarm on April 04, 2024, 06:49:13 PMTurkeys are under the oak tree right out back. We just had about 8 inches of snow.
But I like your picture better. Green grass!!!
Yeah we had green grass but 1.5 miles up the road right after I took this picture I encountered snow flurries. It was odd to see wild cherry trees in full bloom with snow on them.

The odd thing was I had to go to town to get my A/C in my truck worked on. :uhoh:
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!