iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Willow saw or dump?

Started by tacks Y, February 22, 2019, 06:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

Had to take down a couple big willows, yellow with orange inside. Is it worth sawing? I was dragging them into the woods but started thinking. Big growth rings.

Magicman

A forum search will find many topics on Willow. Here is one:  Willow in Sawmills and Milling
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tacks Y

MM, Thanks for the link. What I have is weeping willow. I like the looks of what you sawed, thinking this will not be nearly as good.

Magicman

Some Willow is blond colored where some has that "Walnut" look.

Notice the two logs on the right.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tacks Y

Well MM you have shamed me into saving. Will plan to saw when weather warms.  Thanks

alan gage

I sawed some at 4/4 this summer. Mostly, like you, just to see what I would get. There was a short (6') but perfect log at the nearby tree dump. Not sure which species but I think weeping. It had nice looking grain and was stable coming off the saw. Will see how it dried when it comes off stickers in the summer. I'm thinking shelves or misc. projects where I just need some 4/4 wood. 

I also slabbed a larger, uglier, and partially rotten weeping willow log. It looked good and sold quickly (at low cost due to some rot and it being willow). 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

PAmizerman

Saw it into live edge slabs and sell it on Facebook as "rare" it will sell in a flash :D
All joking aside if it has a crazy grain pattern to it that is exactly what I would do.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Crusarius

Love to see the results after you saw it.

Thank You Sponsors!