iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer/Molder info required Berlin 118

Started by raven010, June 14, 2020, 05:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raven010

Looking for some assistance on finding some information for a No. 118 Berlin Machine Ltd. Planer/ molder that my father in law picked up and is trying to get running.  All we have been to track down is a old Berlin catalogue.  Knowing this is a very old machine any info would be an assist.  

He has all the square heads but no blades, he is looking for a place to buy or have the blades made ideally in Ontario.  He is also interested looking at coverting it from the square heads if we can find a good source for the required parts.

Don P

Berlin changed names after WWI. I'm having a brain cramp and can't remember the history. Yates-American? We had one of their 4 head molders in one shop I worked in. You can probably find more on the OWWM website. Wisconsin Knife Works has cutterheads or might be able to help or advise on replacement knives for your heads.

TKehl

You are on the right track Don. Berlin changed their name to Yates. Then later merged with American to become Yates-American.

As for knives and such anything that will fit the square heads will work. It doesn't have to be specific to the machine just the right dimensions and fit the heads. There's a lot of interchangeability. Would love to see some pictures, I've got a Berlin 108 that I need to get going.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Mr. Soot

Hello, I just acquired a Berlin 90 and was wondering if there was anyone with a manual or any original information for it? It is in full working order but the older guy i bought it from couldn't remember all the details of using it.

DanielW

If you're in Ontario, two places you might try for knives are HD Grinding and Dimar. The folks at HD Grinding are particularly helpful - they've made me everything I've needed for my old square head 4-sided Cowan planer.

I'd be sure to replace all the head bolts, or at least all the ones that look even slightly suspect. Remember that you have to balance the bolts, balance the knives in pairs, and balance heads. Otherwise you'll be vibrating like heck and may end up doing some serious damage to something.

Lots of folks will tell you to stay away from any square head machine or convert it to spiral cutterheads. While that's maybe the safest route, there are still a lot of square head machines being used in odd places around the country, and they were standard for decades and decades. Just be sure to be exceptionally careful. Making some guards to go over the heads to prevent flying knives or bolts isn't a bad idea. One of the things you always hear about square heads is how they can take such massive chunks out of your hands if you get too close because of their large knife pitch. On a large, four-sided machine like yours or mine, that's not quite as much of a concern because as you don't have your hands that close anyway. The greatest danger is if some part of the board you're feeding catches on the heads. The planer can throw it back out the infeed at warp speed - fast enough to kill. Never stand in-line with the infeed or outfeed, and feed carefully. Also make sure you're not taking too heavy of a cut, and make sure you're material is of consistent thickness. The greatest danger I have is if I'm planning someone else's lumber that they cut on a bandmill where the blade have ducked/dived and the thickness varies a lot.

Check out this book (link below): Machine Molder Practice by William Rohr. Lots of good info on setting up and balancing square heads, pouring babbitt, setting patterns, and aligning the planer: Machine molder practice, an instructive, illustrated manual on molder work, the operation and superintendance of the molding machine : Rohr, W. H. (William Henry), b. 1888 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Also check out this book - another old gem for old-school planer knowledge. The writer's a bit pompous sometimes, but he has some humorous anecdotes on planer mills and some good tidbits. It's a little older than the other one, so not quite as applicable for the Berlin/Yates planers: A history of the planing-mill, with practical suggestions for the construction, care and management of wood-working machinery : Tompkins, Charles R : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

DanielW

Just realized Mr. Soot's reply asking about his model 90 was replying to a three year old thread.

Mr. Soot: The links I posted are still applicable for setting up your planer, but it's probably best if you start a new thread for your questions rather than tag onto a three year old thread.

Thank You Sponsors!