iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new Skidder - new to me. Clark 664C

Started by lshobie, May 23, 2016, 10:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lshobie

I was looking at the JD440 and this clark, the price was right on the clark so I went with it.  Going to change the fluids and the winch winds in when its cold - then loosens up - from what I read it might be the winch brake clutch disc, will look into it as soon as it arrives.  Runs well comes with 4 chains, tires are pretty good, blows a little black but have new injectors for it.  The centre hinge pin bushings are worn so will replace those as well.

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Stuart Caruk

Nice! I just picked up a 667 Clark with a grapple. Works great. The winch was just the ticket to free up an old boom truck that I parked in the weeds many years ago. I couldn't pull it out with  the bobcat, cat, or mini excavator, nor push it with the skidder, but the winch drug it our with ease.

Love your tires!
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

rockwall

Good for you. About 10 years ago I was looking for a skidder, I thought I wanted a 440 but found a 664 B and realized it was a lot more rugged than the 440 and lot louder. You might even say it purred. I think you will love it. The winch is so powerful. There should be some old threads on here with help from Oldseabee, he really knows the Clarks. What does it have for a motor?

thecfarm

Good for you. Lets see some wood behind it!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Wonder how long it will be before it's all tricked out like your sleds. 8)
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

oldseabee

Hey Rockwall pretty well came with 3-53-N (no turbo), they were loud,this was first time it was called purring, may have been re powered, 662 had a Ford 2701-E or a 353-N or
666 and 666B came with 453-N, same frame just different mounts and a little larger rad.

oldseabee

Hey Ishobie, make sure that machine has a spark arrester, original 353 had a tank turret muffler, I believe the spark arrester was just above the hood, had a 3/8: pipe plug you could take out to drain out the old sparks. 353 without the turbo was bad to spit out hot carbon bits, some would end up in the rear frame and give you a real bad day.

BargeMonkey

lshobie

Quote from: oldseabee on May 24, 2016, 06:44:58 AM
Hey Ishobie, make sure that machine has a spark arrester, original 353 had a tank turret muffler, I believe the spark arrester was just above the hood, had a 3/8: pipe plug you could take out to drain out the old sparks. 353 without the turbo was bad to spit out hot carbon bits, some would end up in the rear frame and give you a real bad day.

That's a great idea I'll be doing that soon.  I have a mechanic who knows these machines coming in to check it out, set up the valves/rack etc.  I'm not sure how much power it should be producing under load so I want him to check it out.  if it's climbing steep the revs go down and it just crawls but makes it up...  New filters ordered, 40w oil, checking to see what fuel filters it needs.  the winch drags a bit when i first start it but loosens up quickly.

I have to replace the pin bushing - centre pin?  there is some good slop in there, any tips or tricks?  know what I have to replace and where to get them?  Is there a parts manual available anywhere?  Service manual?

Thanks!!  Video coming!

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

lshobie

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 24, 2016, 05:51:00 AM
Wonder how long it will be before it's all tricked out like your sleds. 8)

lol, not sure, but it could use some paint!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: lshobie on May 24, 2016, 10:39:50 PM
Quote from: oldseabee on May 24, 2016, 06:44:58 AM

That's a great idea I'll be doing that soon.  I have a mechanic who knows these machines coming in to check it out, set up the valves/rack etc.  I'm not sure how much power it should be producing under load so I want him to check it out.  if it's climbing steep the revs go down and it just crawls but makes it up...  New filters ordered, 40w oil, checking to see what fuel filters it needs.  the winch drags a bit when i first start it but loosens up quickly.

I have to replace the pin bushing - centre pin?  there is some good slop in there, any tips or tricks?  know what I have to replace and where to get them?  Is there a parts manual available anywhere?  Service manual?

Thanks!!  Video coming!
pins are 1-3/4" with spherical bushings and brass washers. i just use a machine shop since whaley's went out.
if shes slugish, i bet the rack is out. good on you for having it done!

oldseabee

alliedsystems.com has parts and parts  manuals for free download, be sure to match serial numbers with the book. They also have operators manuals for down load. takes a little bit of searching to find what you need.

oldseabee

The transmission is a 2420 2 speed with two ranges, work/travel. Should be a  lever between your feet for work/travel, some were cut off to keep hot rod operators in work range, travel range can push up 30 to MPH, too fast for that stick steering, also a lot of quick steering with that joy stick can ease the blade down a little at a time, stump city is no fun at 25 MPH, you can kiss that hot exhaust stack good by as you pass it by.
The work/travel range should only be shifted when you are stopped and in neutral, it is a physical sliding gear in the bottom of the transmission, on the output shaft.

lshobie

Plankton

Nice looking machine, there awesome skidders. Looks like you lucked out and got a clark winch on yours.

My rpms come down slightly unloaded but only crawls running up a long grade with 600 ft behind me so sounds like you doing the right thing tuning it.

larry1

Good looking Clark , they are very popular around here . My buddy has been making a living selling firewood with his  , and it never missed a beat !!

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!