iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade wood splitters

Started by Madman_Mark, July 24, 2004, 06:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

Anyone have any plans on how to build a wood splitter ?
I have a 6 HP B&S motor from an old tiller that I can use (and a welder).
What about a splitter that I can run from my tractor ? Any plans for that ?
Thanks.

Frank_Pender

Mark, I am sure you are aware of the issue of the tractor pump being large enough to handle the splitter system.   I have had several folks out this way, a number of years ago,  copy a 3 point splitter some of my students designed and built for me.  I told friends not to use their tractor hydraulic system for running the splitter.  They ruined two or three tractor pumps before they learned.   What I did, to use my Ferguson 30, was to build a bracket for a pto driven pump and valve system.   I used that system for a number of yers before designing a self contined unit on a 3/4 ton Ford axel that houses three splitters; a 4 way star system that runs horizontal,  a vertical unit with a 24" lazy susan, and a third that makes kindling.
Frank Pender

florida

One of my brothers is an engineer at a paper mill. One of the other engineers there built a log splitter that used a Honda motorcycle engine and transmission to power it. It was on a trailer and tilted upright to use. My brother used to borrow it once a year to split his annual firewood pile. All you had to do was roll the wood onto the bottom plate and stand back. That thing would split wood as fast as you could rotate the log. I'll see if he has any pictures of it as it was sure an awsome machine.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Thank You Sponsors!