iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need suggestions/opinions on a small planer purchase

Started by Cypressstump, June 07, 2012, 08:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

I am in the market for a small 13" planer. I am not yet ready or setup for large scale planing, but intend to be in the next year.
For my current needs, building a small cabin, a lunchbox planer would suit my needs I believe.

I have been looking at the local big box store models, and Dewalt has a 13 incher that 'looks' to be fairly stout, at least compared to some of the other brands they offer in comparable size/costs range. It a 3 blade , 2 speed unit.

I realize most of you guys are setup with the commercial units and have already done the trail and error on such smaller stuff.

Any suggestions would surely be appreciated!

Thanks, Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Magicman

I have done fine with my Delta.  I would think that Delta, Dewalt, or Ridgid would all be OK.  My final decision would be based on the blades.  Availability, cost and ease of replacement.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jim blodgett

Makita.

I'm not sure what their current 12-13" portable model is but I have an older model 2012 that I have run tens of thousands of lin feet of various species through over the past 20 years and it's still ticking.

There must be some behind the scenes shenanigans in the business world (duh) becuase I don't think any of the big box stores carry many Makita tools. But every Asian tool manufacturer should be paying royalties to Makita.  They broke the stereotype in the 80's by building affordable, high (enough) quality power tools that started an avalanche or import tool acceptance here in The States.  Before them it was "Millwaukie, Skil, B+D, Porter Cable..." as the "best" power tools for professionals - not no more.

Anyways, do a little research into whatever Makita offers in that line today.  I have rebuilt my little 2012 front to back and parts are still available today.  If my son or one of my daughters was going into my profession (carpentry) and asked this same question, that's what I'd say.

In the 80's they used to import a very nice 15" planer/6"jointer combo tool I'd love to find, but I guess they didn't move enough units and it wasn't available here long...great shop tool...should have jumped on one at the time, but I was probably too busy trying to make the land payment or buy groceries.

Cypressstump

Thanks MM/Jim,

I like the features on the Dewalt, but open to others as I am not in a rush to buy today, I'll do some more checking. I'm gonna look into the Delta units as well.

I have a few Makita power tools, they are very sturdy and have lasted my abuse well. I did find a Makita model 2030 planer/joiner combo for 750, looked to be in good shape for it's age. But it's a local pickup only, no shipping. I like the setup of that combo unit.

Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

DGK

I have a Dewalt 13" planer, it produces a very nice finish. The only trouble that I have had with it is that the rubber feed rollers slip on wood that has already been planed with a very smooth finish.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

woodmills1

pretty sure ryobi started the portable planer thing

I still have my first

their blades are in a holder so very easy to change

that said I did wonders with my old cheap 5 Hp belsaw
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

thecfarm

My wife brought me a 13" Ridgid. Have not even changed the blades in it yet,that's how little I used it. Really getting a workout now though. I have not used others so I like this one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I had the DeWalt DW 733.  It was a 12 1/2" two blade.  I planed thousands of BF through it.  I believe that Dodgy Loner is still running it.  The DW 734 was basically the same unit, but with three blades, and I believe that 3 blades are better.  These two are not made anymore, but you can find them used as people upgrade.  You can get one for a very good price if you look around.  The 13" DW 735 is what is out there now.  Gets great reviews except it is as loud as a screaming banshee.

I agree with the quality and value of Makita tools.  I have a number of them.  The Rigid tools are also pretty solid from the reviews that I have seen, but I don't own any.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I have had four planers, and I still own three (wore out a delta). For the money, I would keep an eye on craigslist for a used planer/molder. They really have the feed rollers set-up better than the lunch box planers. Woodmaster, RBI, Hawk,
Belsaw, I think there are more. They also come with bigger motors.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ianab

I also have a DW733 that has served me well over the years.

It's only 2 blades, but they are big solid ones that can be resharpened a few times before you need to throw them away. Some of the models have thinner disposable blades. More convenient, but more pricey over the long run.

Thin to remember is their limitations. They can cut 3mm deep, or 300mm wide. NOT both. So planing wide boards means lighter passes. But as long as you are patient you can plane a lot of wood with one.

I would like a heavier duty (induction motor) unit, if I could find one cheap, that didn't need 3 phase power, and had the space etc.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Ian,

Being able to sharpen the blades on the DW 733 was nice, rather than dispose and buy new blades.  The DW 734 had 3 two-sided disposable blades.  I do not know about the current DW 735. 

Cypress,

After going to the carbide spiral head, I am amazed by how much better job they do and for how long they stay sharp.  I plane a lot of wood for projects.  I purchased a 15", 3 HP, spiral head planer and I have not had to turn the inserts yet after two years and thousands of feet of lumber.  With the old DeWalt, I would have had to sharpen the blades at least a couple of times.  You may not have the $ to invest in a spiral head, but if you do, don't spend your money on a blade planer, go with the spiral head.  If not, you could buy a used lunch box planer for $250 or less, maybe a good bit less.  That old DW 734 with three blades was a very good machine for the Money. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grweldon

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems relevent.  WDH, what is the most affordable helix-head planer with carbide inserts?  Before long I may be in the market for one and I was going to keep my eyes open.  I use carbide cutting inserts at work, I assume these are the same type, probably have 4 or 8 edges on them with a screw in the center?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Cypressstump

I really appreciate the feedback guys!
I have a small cabin/apartment that I have built on my property until I get the house built.My use initially for the small planer would be soft wood like some sinker cypress and sinker Tupilo gum, which is really nice wood too. 10-12 inches would probably be the widest I would be planing. Most of the wider, 24-29" cypress for wall paneling is fine like it came off the mill.

Good point on the planer/molder Jake, I will continue to search a while before I decide.
WDH, a sprial head unit is my goal but will be a while before I can afford one. On what I have read up on, those are definately the Cat's Meow.

I'm still lurking aorund for a good deal on a used model. I may be able to find a higher quality used model for the same money as a new smaller unit.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

barbender

I have a Craftsman 13", it leaves a nice finish but I sure wish I would have bought the Dewalt I was considering at the time, because it is a chore getting blades for the Craftsman, the Dewalt blades are available right in town, same with the Ridgid.
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Quote from: grweldon on June 08, 2012, 08:21:18 AM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems relevent.  WDH, what is the most affordable helix-head planer with carbide inserts?  Before long I may be in the market for one and I was going to keep my eyes open.  I use carbide cutting inserts at work, I assume these are the same type, probably have 4 or 8 edges on them with a screw in the center?

Steel City makes a lunchbox style planer with the carbide inserts.  It is $600 to $650.  However, I have read mixed reviews.  Google it and read some of the reviews.  Beyond that, you are looking well over $1000, more like $1500 - $1700 from what I found when I was in the market for one. 

hackberry jake

There's a way you can search all of Craigslist. Google "all of Craigslist" and it should bring it up. That's how I found my woodmaster. 718 with propack for $800. I had to drive to tennesse to get it, but well worth it.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

woodman58

What ever you end up buying, make sure you can get the blades for it. I bought the DeWalt 12 1/2" planer from a box store and when I needed new blades for it they had stopped selling them. You can only get them on line.  I now have to drive 50 miles to get blades. The ridgid will be around for a long time and I don't think they will stop selling the blades.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

wdncno

I have had Makita, Delta, and DeWalt, and although the DeWalt is the nicest, and hhas more features, I will buy a Makita next time. De Walt slips and leaves marks.  Makita liteally ran miles of wood in the worst possible environments. Also I always get at least 2 sharpenings on the disposable blades.

pineywoods

I have 2 planers, a delta "lunch box 12 inch" and a big ole 18 inch woodmaster. The delta mostly serves as a backup when I have the woodmaster set up to do molding and need one or 2 boards surface planed. Both have their good points. The delta is a bit underpowered, shove a 12 inch board in it, you aren't gonna take off more than a thirty second of an inch per pass. It needs variable feed speed. If you let the blades get dull, it bogs down quickly.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

tyb525

I have  a Grizzly G0505 12 1/2" planer for a few years now, I like that their blades are 1/8" thick and double sided. I sharpened the first set twice and just got a new set. The feed rate seems pretty fast at 32fpm. The price for the planer is pretty reasonable I think, at $324.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

The 3 blade DeWalt DW 734 is still being made I guess because I saw one in a Home Depot yesterday.

Sixacresand

The 12" planner I got at Lowes does a nice job.  It cost about $300.  I can get replacement blades there too.  Of course it is designed for a carpenter shop and not for planning mega bf from a sawmill.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

barbender

Quote from: WDH on June 10, 2012, 09:24:36 PM
The 3 blade DeWalt DW 734 is still being made I guess because I saw one in a Home Depot yesterday.

Same here, and they had blades for it too.
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!