iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Open-Entry Woodworking Exhibit & Competition Showcases Urban and Salvaged Wood

Started by Dave G, January 03, 2008, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave G

2nd Annual Woodworking Competition and Exhibit
"IT GROWS ON TREES--II"[/b]
Emerald Ash Borers threaten 700 million ash trees in Michigan and nearby regions. Can this wood be used for anything?  Can artists and craftsmen address environmental concerns?  Can woodworkers find value in "junk" wood?  Juried exhibit presents creative uses for local and under-valued wood.  The exhibit will travel to three or more sites in lower Michigan, June-Sept 2008.  Entry deadline April 30.  $1250 in prizes.
For info:  www.riversidearts.org/woodshow.htm
e-mail inquiries:  michiganwoodart@gtlakes.com
For more info on the EAB's and photos from last year's show, try: www.semircd.org/ash/woodshow

Ironwood

Can the wood be from any urban salvage? Can the work be from any state? Just curious. Nearly all of my work comes from urban salvage and scrap yards. Click my photo "link" button to see more. Under "recent work" page 3 and in "Other photos" pages 6 and 7 in particular.

Thanks Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Daren

Yep, everything I make is made from urban logs too. I am just a hack woodworker though, I wouldn't stand a chance in any kind of competition  :D. Some mighty pretty things have been made by my lumber customers though from "waste" logs.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sparty

Thanks for the heads up.  That gallery is real close to me and I have salvaged a lot of ash logs from that area.  I think I'll try to enter something.

Thank You Sponsors!