iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twin Trees

Started by Hiker9, August 21, 2022, 06:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiker9

I am doing some thinning near my home for fire protection and due to drought conditions. Part of the intent is to provide more moisture for the remaining trees.
Does removing one of two twin trees harm the remaining one?
If they are not twinned but very close does it harm the remaining one?
The ones in the photos are Incense Cedar.

My location is in the Northern California mountains at about 3700' elevation. We are currently in the Extreme Drought (D3) category which is one level below the highest level.

clearcut

Incense cedar is not much of a sprouter, so it is likely those would have generated from separate seeds. 

You should be able to cut the 2 smaller stems with only positive impact, less competition, on the remaining tree. 
Carbon sequestered upon request.

WDH

Wait until winter when the trees are dormant to to it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hiker9

Quote from: WDH on August 21, 2022, 07:12:28 PM
Wait until winter when the trees are dormant to to it.
Would like to do it soon due to fire risks. What is the concern to not waiting till dormant?

WDH

Most pruning and shaping is done when dormant.  May not matter much in your case if the stems are separate plants. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!