iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WDH Danny Hamsley

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I went by there this afternoon. I thought I would share with y'all that Danny had just finished off a load of black walnut and probably had pictures in his head of how pretty it was going to be coming out of the planer. He was doing what he loved and he died with his boots on. I will be making many more trips over there helping the family in any way that I possibly can. There is no way I can express how it feels. One side of me is humbled and honored to be there for my friend and his family in their time of need. The other side of me is angry because I miss my friend and he is gone to soon. I'm sure there are many on here that wish they was close enough to be able to help. So if you think of something that I can do please don't hesitate to send me a PM or whatever and let me know.
There is no details of the services at this time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GAB

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 22, 2022, 05:34:11 PM
He was active here just yesterday too.  I regret not earlier taking a look at his gallery, WOW!  What a bunch of beautiful wood.  Does anyone know if there's a plan of sucession for Hamsley Hardwoods?  I think I've seen the same young man that might(?) be his son in a few of the pictures.  Is there a way to find the post attached to a particular picture in someone's gallery to bring a little context to what's going on?
BBY:
If my memory/recall is correct I believe he said he had 3 daughters.  The picture might be one of his SIL.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

Jake, like you say he died with his boots on doing what he loved. That's as much as many of us can hope for.

It's amazing but not in the least surprising, to see all of the comments by folks that he took some time to mentor, educate, and just be a kind person to.  

Too many irons in the fire

21incher

Wow, I can't believe this. I am saddened by this post.  When I first joined  the forestry forum Danny always took the time share his knowledge  of sawing to help get  me started with my new little mill. I never met him but feel like he was part of my family the way he was always there with advice when I was in need. So glad he was doing what he loved when he was taken from us. Rest in peace  Danny. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Jake you are right in that there are a lot of us that would like to be available to help the family but are too far away. Thank you for representing the FF family in this meaningful way. If there is any way any of use can assist you in that effort, let us know.
 I am so sorry you have lost a good friend. I do hope you let the family know that all here are shaken by this loss. Perhaps share this thread somehow.
 It's a testament to the man to see the comments here and see how many lives he touched in this circle alone, and there were many more circles for him.
 I still can't believe it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Andries

Oh what tragic news!
I've met Danny a few times, even though we lived thousands of miles apart. He referred, affectionately, to all of us northerners as the "glaciated folks". As has been said, he was a gentleman and a scholar, and I will miss him sorely.
Danny's interests and expertise went the full range. He knew how to match the genetic strains of SYP seedlings to the soil types of his tree plantations. As a Forrester he knew how to nurture his patch of this green earth to maximize the benefit of growing a forest. Milling, drying, and woodworking. He mastered them all, yet came across as a gentle, kind and sharing gentleman. He was of the Head Master of the 'southern troika': Robert Milton (YH), Jake Dean (CS) and Danny Hamsley (WDH) were the three amigos. I wish I had lived closer.
I may never be able to think of a planer without thinking of Danny's experience with the media - his cringeworthy 'wood smoother' moment of being mis-quoted.
Danny, you enhanced the lives of all that knew you, on-line or in-person.
 Rest In Peace!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

You will always be at the top center of the bell curve my friend. It was a pleasure meeting you. Smooth sailing, Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Nebraska

This sucks, I'm glad he was doing what he enjoyed when he left us behind....

I never got to meet you Danny, you obviously were intelligent, patient and kind. Especially  to folks new here with questions. You took the time to answer mine and I appreciated it.  I will miss your humor and your knowledge this forum will miss you greatly..  Prayers to your family and for  your close friends here. Godspeed....

Pat

chet

I am at a total a loss for words. All I can muster is Godspeed my dear friend.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Poquo

So sorry to hear. Praying for Danny's family.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

jmouton

danny was a kool guy very smart about alot of things, i am glad that i could call him my friend , i am just in shock since i heard the news,  he was just a great person 
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

RichTired

So sorry to hear this!
I first met Danny at Jake's a few years ago. He was a very nice and knowledgeable forum member.

RIP
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

YellowHammer

@Andries 
The Three Amigos comment hits home.  I remember years ago Danny, Jake and I were doing some tongue in cheek texting and the Three Amigos subject came up.  So I did a quick web search and I sent a short video clip or two of the movie scenes that everybody laughs at, like the Cactus and the hands on hip kind of scenes.  Then we started trying to decide which one of us was who, and I don't think we ever figured it out, but it was fun trying to link our personalities to the characters.  

I also remember when I first joined this Forum, I really avoided these things, I disliked the content and juvenileness of other typical Forums.  I finally posted something, dipped my toe in the water so to speak.  Danny responded with a compliment and words of wisdom to a new guy.  I remember thinking that if he is a representative of the knowledge, respect and professionalism on this Forum, then it was a good place to call home.  Through the years our friendship grew, and I always knew I was in the presence of someone who knew more than I did, but he didn't have to brag about it, he just "knew" stuff.

He visited our farm here in Alabama a couple times, and recently I texted him and Jake some photos of a couple big persimmon logs that I had just bought.  They were very nice logs that I knew I could pull his chain on because he loved persimmon.  These are 16 feet long, big and straight as an arrow.  So he took the bait, and asked what I wanted for them and I told him I wouldn't let him buy them because they were his for the taking, BUT, he'd have to come up here to get them. :D  I hoped this would give him a reason to come visit me again.  Lots of things have happened since then, but everyday I go out in the log yard and see his 2 persimmon logs still laying there.  I won't be able to cut them up now, they are his.  I think I will just roll them in the woods and let them go back to nature.

I will miss him.         

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

Quote I remember thinking that if he is a representative of the knowledge, respect and professionalism on this Forum, then it was a good place to call home.

And to add, this Forum is also thanks to the wisdom of Bossman Jeff, in so many ways. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Yes, and many members that possess some of the same characteristics that Danny exemplified, "birds of a feather...", like yourself Beenthere. Jeff PMed me once years back, I was debating an issue with you and Jeff gave me a gentle nudge. He said something to the effect that BT don't pull his own chain, but he knows his stuff😉

And that was Danny, he didn't fluff his feathers either. I know enough about a lot of things, to know that I don't know a lot- and to be able recognize someone that does. I never even got to talk music with Danny, another area where it sounds like I could've recognized someone that knew what they were talking about.
Too many irons in the fire

caveman

There have been a few very influential folks in my life but in many ways, I consider Danny Hamsley a mentor involving all things WOOD.  I frequently asked him dendrology questions when I was stumped.  He had the patience and ability to break it down to the point I could usually understand.  He would use words like tylosis, lenticles, parenchyma when explaining.  I'd nod and genuinely understand for a few minutes, until my tiny brain was overwhelmed with information.  Later, I'd ask him to explain again, reminding him that I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Danny also helped JMoore and me a lot with our sawmilling.  

He and I both have three daughters.  He and I both have children who were very successful in FFA Forestry while in school.  Any time I have had a forestry team going to the national FFA Forestry contest, I'd try to stop by Danny's on the way up so they could get some excellent teaching, but he was often fishing for red drum during that week in October.  We were scheduled to stop by his place a month from today.  I was so excited that my two younger daughters were finally going to meet my friend, Danny Hamsley.  The last FFA Forestry team I took was my first forestry team able to get to meet and learn from WDH.  That was time well spent.

The first time I met him in person was at Jake's several years ago.  He greeted me and treated me like family from day one.  One of my treasured memories is one July day a few years ago, I stopped by his place.  It was Georgia hot and we trapsed through his woods with him teaching the whole time, without complaint.  I was looking forward to doing that again.

Yellowhammer wrote about the persimmon logs.  Danny mentioned to me that he wanted some live oak to saw.  I set aside a few good ones for him and offered to bring them to him.  Danny was incredibly smart, kind and generous.  He was the type of man you want your daughters to marry and your sons to become.
Caveman

Sixacresand

We first met Danny at one of Jake's Projects when I first got a mill about 2012.  His memory was like a trap, he always remembered our names and type of mill I had at the time.  His knowledge of trees and lumber amazed me. Once, when we were coming through Hayesville for the Peaches to Beaches yard sale, I could see for hundreds of feet down the highway and huge selection of live edge slabs and benches.  I knew it had to be Danny's wood. Of course I stopped.   Rest in peace old friend. 

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

customsawyer

I'm very touched by how many of you are bringing up memories of meeting him at my place. Certainly making those "projects" mean even more. Thank you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bruno of NH

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 22, 2022, 10:31:42 PM
@Andries
The Three Amigos comment hits home.  I remember years ago Danny, Jake and I were doing some tongue in cheek texting and the Three Amigos subject came up.  So I did a quick web search and I sent a short video clip or two of the movie scenes that everybody laughs at, like the Cactus and the hands on hip kind of scenes.  Then we started trying to decide which one of us was who, and I don't think we ever figured it out, but it was fun trying to link our personalities to the characters.  

I also remember when I first joined this Forum, I really avoided these things, I disliked the content and juvenileness of other typical Forums.  I finally posted something, dipped my toe in the water so to speak.  Danny responded with a compliment and words of wisdom to a new guy.  I remember thinking that if he is a representative of the knowledge, respect and professionalism on this Forum, then it was a good place to call home.  Through the years our friendship grew, and I always knew I was in the presence of someone who knew more than I did, but he didn't have to brag about it, he just "knew" stuff.

He visited our farm here in Alabama a couple times, and recently I texted him and Jake some photos of a couple big persimmon logs that I had just bought.  They were very nice logs that I knew I could pull his chain on because he loved persimmon.  These are 16 feet long, big and straight as an arrow.  So he took the bait, and asked what I wanted for them and I told him I wouldn't let him buy them because they were his for the taking, BUT, he'd have to come up here to get them. :D  I hoped this would give him a reason to come visit me again.  Lots of things have happened since then, but everyday I go out in the log yard and see his 2 persimmon logs still laying there.  I won't be able to cut them up now, they are his.  I think I will just roll them in the woods and let them go back to nature.

I will miss him.        

Mr. YH
They arent my logs or my business but
I would think Mr Danny would want you to cut the logs. Please do a U tube video of it as tutorial as if Mr Danny was there .
I would think he would like it as he always liked to see the special logs opened up.
Bruno 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

aigheadish

Well, this is a bummer. WDH was always very sweet and helpful to a know-nothing like me. I never met him in person but he seemed like a real good fellow. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nomad

YellowHammer, I have to agree with Bruno.  Saw those persimmon logs as a tribute to Danny, and video it.  Maybe even build a piece of furniture from the wood, or have another Forum member do it as a tribute to him.  Then donate that piece to his family.
      I think that's the way I'd handle it anyway.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ron barnes

My deepest sympathies to the family.  A sad day.  Fine gentleman.

Corley5

:'( :( :'( :( :'(  I had the pleasure of meeting Danny at Pig Roasts, a couple of Sunbelt Ag Expos in Moultrie Ga, and at one of, maybe the first, sawing events at Jake's.  Truly a nice guy.  One of the best.  He went out with his boots on doing what he loved.  RIP WDH.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

May you rest in peace Danny, you will be sorely missed.  Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!