iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WDH Danny Hamsley

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Words cannot express the sorrow Linda and I feel at this news.
Condolences to his loved ones from 2 of the "glaciated" folk.
Very few things bring tears to the eyes of this ancient cynic but this is one of those instances
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

As so many have said I have no words that express the surprise and sadness.

I'd look at his posts Identifying trees and see his use of the Va. Tech dendrology application and often thought I'd post to poke fun and ask did he not have one from that school in Georgia! I'm sure he'd not be offended and have a great comeback.

Rest in peace sir and may your family be comforted.

B.C.C. Lapp

I never met Danny but sure wished I had. He must have been quite a guy that so many of you knew him personally and were glad for it.    
My condolences to all of you that are grieving and to his family.
RIP Danny, you  will be missed always.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Sixacresand

I visualize a WDH Memorial Persimmon Project
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

stavebuyer

Gone too soon. He represented everything that a man should be.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Sixacresand on September 23, 2022, 12:19:25 PM
I visualize a WDH Memorial Persimmon Project
Be sure to engrave a really ugly bulldog on it with a UGA logo. 

Danny has been harassing me about War Eagles and I have been pulling his chain about bulldogs for years. I remember him posting about his hunting dog Hambone and the last post I saw from him was his little "Pocket Beagle" (whatever a pocket beagle is) who he was real proud of.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

The same thought popped into my mind. If there is another 'project' and one of those logs could find it's way to Jakes, it could be slabbed and planed. Perhaps somebody like Doc could get it home and engrave it or the members there could sign it. Maybe RiteLeg could kick in some legs. If 3 could be made, one could go to Danny's family, one to the Pig Roast site, and one to reside at Jakes place. They wouldn't have to be full length benches, maybe 4-5'?
 I understand Rob's feelings and was thinking just one of those logs would allow others to share in the remembrance and good feelings about an exceptional person. I kind of think Danny would like that, especially in his favorite wood.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

good thoughts.  give it some time.  I will help in any way.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Of course, time builds perspective. I think we are all still in shock at some level.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

moosehunter

At one of the pig roasts Danny took myself and I think it was Jeff but maybe someone else, across the street from Jeff's to look at a tree that had something peculiar about it. I don't remember what the peculiarity was, maybe the leaves didn't match up with the bark? (I unlike him do not remember things well) . The point is he took the time to share his observations with us in the midst of this grand gathering. 
RIP WDH

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

okmulch

This is truly sad news. Danny was a great person and a good friend. We didn't see each other very often, usually at pig roasts but could start conversations right back off where we left the time before. His knowledge of forestry is unmatched and the willingness to teach any one with a question will be missed. 
I am so glad I made the trip to Jake's this year and got to visit with Danny, now knowing that was the last time we would speak. Makes me realize that a lot of times work will be there when you get back and gatherings like the pig roast and Jake's are worth every trip. 
My condolences to Danny's family, he was a great man! 
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

trimguy

This is very sad. I met Danny at Jake's project earlier this year and talked like we had been friends for years. I had an invite to go check out his operation, that I told him I would love to do. Now I will regret not making the time to do it.

gspren

When I saw this this morning I was at a loss for words, now after much thought I'll mention my first meeting with Danny. At my first pig roast Danny introduced himself and when I said who I was he said he liked my posts, whether that was true or not doesn't matter, what matters was that he made me feel welcome and valued, as said before a truly nice guy.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ron Scott

I just heard and I'm still digesting this sad news of our loss of Danny. It is hard to believe that he has left us.

I remember when he joined the Forum some time ago and started answering "Ask the Forester" questions. I saw and appreciated his great interest and knowledge.

He was a great supporter of the Forum and added much professionalism and humor to it. He made his way to most all the pig roasts where we looked forward to visiting with him.

He kept track of forestry issues and called me several times on the phone for a topic discussion. He was a forester's forester and loved his profession. He will be a great loss to the Forum.

I give a slow hand salute to this fellow forester. May he rest in peace and now find many trees to identify in Heaven.
~Ron

chet

Yesterday I was at deer camp getting set for this season. In all the years of our camp I can only think of a couple of times where I even had a hint of phone reception. Yesterday low and behold my phone rang, but no one was there on the other end. Amazed that I had a signal I checked into the forum, only to get the very sad news of Danny's passing. A few minutes later my signal my was gone again. I truely beleave my dear friend Danny had a hand in that miracle phone reception. Thanks buddy, I am going ta miss ya big time.    chet
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

YellowHammer

I pulled a small portion of a video clip from my "Legends" video, at Jake's (Customsawyer) last Project.  

At the projects, the guys all would band up and start playing.  As I was walking by, I heard the haunting rendition of this old hym, and it caught my attention.  I stopped and pulled out my iPhone and recorded it.  It was the only song I recorded that night.    

Danny is in the baseball hat, playing the bass guitar in the foreground at the beginning of the clip.  Little did I know this was the last time I would hear them play.  FYI, this video is not monetized in any way, that wouldn't be right.

I'll Fly Away

I'll fly away Oh Glory
I'll fly away;  
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by
I'll fly away  

WDH Playing "I'll Fly Away" - YouTube
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DbltreeBelgians

My heart hurts after getting word on the passing of Danny.
I first met Danny at the pig roast several years ago and when he came up to me it was like we had known each other for a long time . He was truly a gifted man with all his knowledge of trees, wood, and craftsmanship along with being a genuinely great individual.
I missed out on seeing him this last spring at Jake's due to an unexpected similar situation on my end. 
I had intended to either start a new thread or PM him this weekend as I just got a 50lb. bag of Solubor and was looking for his or anyone else's advice on proper mixing and use of it. I have bookmarked post by Danny on use of Solubor (Timbor) (DOT), species ID and so on. 
It was truly my pleasure meeting him and he will be sadly missed.
As others have said, "Danny, you're a Gentleman and a Scholar"

Rest easy my friend till we meet again

Brent

Southside

Monday my wife and I were walking through an area on our land I have been thinning and she spotted a tree that she liked and asked what it was.  My response was quickly to say that it was a "Danny Tree", to which she replied that she had never heard of such a tree and what did I mean.  So I explained to her that a "Danny Tree" was any tree I didn't know what it was so I would just call Danny, send him a picture, and he would tell me what the tree was.  A few minutes later I got tied up with a newborn calf and sadly never got back to the Danny tree to take a photo and send it to my friend.  That tree now has flagging tape on it and will never be felled as long as I own this farm, it will remain known as a Danny Tree and nothing more.  I do miss my friend.      
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

There isn't a easy way to say this. We have now learned that Danny passed due to a freak accident at the sawmill. It just goes to show that lots of the work that we do can be dangerous. Y'all be careful out there.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bruno of NH

Equipment , logs , chainsaws , sawmills , obstacles on the ground. 
It can be hard to not get hurt.
Working alone is a challenge all in its self. Like Jake says , stay safe everyone. 
I had a hard day at the mill yesterday thinking about Mr Danny and his family. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Another thing I want to add. If y'all have any pictures of Danny that you think are special would you please email them to Danny's email. His family will be able to receive them there. I think they are putting together a slide show or something like that.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

alan gage

Very sorry to hear this. I never met Danny in person but I never skipped over a post if I saw his name. I always knew I'd either be educated or entertained, and often both. And he always did it in a kind and respectful way.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

firefighter ontheside

It could happen to any of us.  As safe as we can be, accidents happen.  
I had to find this and watch it again.  The "wood smoother"
Georgia timber farmers not seeing record profits | 13wmaz.com
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I was just reading back thru some of the messages from Danny and I found when he had given me his number.  I had been asking him about what kind of kiln I should build...DH or solar.  He helped me to decide on DH.  Reading back thru messages makes me realize that so much of his wisdom is recorded on the forum.  Want to learn about trees...go and read thru the tree of the day thread.  You can be sure he was in there a lot.  

This was the message he sent to me in May of 2019.

If you want to call me and chew the fat about all this, please do.  My cell # is xxxxxxxxx. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!