iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home made bacon

Started by Crossroads, January 07, 2023, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Started my first real attempt at traditional homemade bacon this evening. Used a dry rub of 2 cups sea salt, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar and a sprinkling of black pepper and 10# of pork belly. I only ended up using about a third of the salt mixture and saved the rest for next time. After 5-7 days, I'll cold smoke it with mesquite for at least 10 hours. It's going to be hard to wait a week to sample it. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

customsawyer

Sounds like the timing is about right for it to be ready for you to ship me some. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Crossroads

😝 I'm trying to work out a trip over for the project in April, in which case I'll bring some stuff from the smokehouse 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

I hope it taste as good as it sounds!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crossroads

Me too! The process seems to easy to be true. 

moosehunter

We buy a pig every year and have it butchered. In an effort to eat healthier I have cut out nitrates. 
So our last pig I had them leave the bellies whole and I made my own bacon. Yours sounds like the same recipe I used. 
Mine came out very good but a little too salty. I was told to rinse the bellies with hot water next time just before they go in the smoker.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

newoodguy78

I've made bacon with a similar recipe in the past. Like mh mentioned my only complaint was it came out a bit too salty and I tend to enjoy salt more than most. Was told the same thing to rinse with straight water to cut the salt then make sure it's dry prior to smoking.  Certainly depends on your personal tastes but worth keeping an eye on. 
If I was to do it again I'd probably cook a piece prior to smoking just to check. 

Southside

What do you have for a smokehouse set up? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

I definitely plan to rinse it well before smoking, I've heard of the salt over powering things. 

I built a smokehouse from cross laminated timber panels that I hauled home from the factory I used to work at. The footprint is roughly 5'x7' and the floor, walls and roof are about 6" think. For cold smokes I use a smoke tube from Amazon and for hot smokes I have a small wood stove with 1 section of pipe on it inside of the smokehouse. Eventually I'll move the stove outside and run the pipe through the wall. 

Southside

Wow! That can double as a storm / nuke shelter too! Nice set up. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

I do an overnight wet brine with 1/3 c. sugar, 3/4 c. salt per gallon of water, and a cold smoke on Alder. I built the baconater from a cut off oil drum and support the belly near the top to keep it as cool as possible. During the workday I keep an eye on things, adding wood, stopping flareups, and keeping things as cool as possible. After about 8 hours in the smoker, I slice and BBQ over rotted oak until crispy.
 I own 4 different smokers/pits for meats and fish, mostly Salmon. I serve the bacon and fish buffet style with breads, cheeses, and coffee etc during "dog and pony" shows keeping the designers and architects happily munching while I pitch them.
 Homemade bacon is always a crowd pleaser and all the work in making it pays off, so to speak ;D

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Crossroads

Lol, it's definitely stout. I've always wanted a full grown smoker. Now I just need a few more oven racks to fill it up. 

I'll give your wet brine a try next time, that looks good. 
Your baconator reminds me of a pig roast I did a few years ago. When I get a chance I'll do a post on it. 

tule peak timber

I like dry rubs on ribs and sometimes on fish. Hot smoke, cold smoke, dry smoke, wet smoke, electric, wood fired, and imprinting flavors with plant leaves. Lots of combinations to try and enjoy. Cheers.... :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Crossroads

Bacon is in the smoker now, but slices some up for dinner. It's a little on the salty side, but not offensive. I'll probably try a wet brine next time. 

SwampDonkey

Neighbors make bacon and brought some over as a Christmas gift among other things. Reminds me like old fashioned bacon and didn't smell like an old bore pig. No nitrates or sugar added. Not real salty either. They have a smoker. They are getting better at making their cuts because we had some before and it was more like a fatty fresh bacon used in a baking bean pot. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

I've discussed the pig I bought a bit in the other thread, and the guy I got the pig from had a buddy smoke some bacon that was sold to me. I picked it up Monday afternoon and last night went to vacuum pack it all. This is one of the piles of what I think was about 30 pounds or so. I like bacon but it's not a huge deal to me, it's just nice to have some around for when I'd like some. As I was sealing this up I tossed 6 small chunks on the stove and cooked 'em up. That was at about 6 or so last night. I haven't stopped thinking of bacon since then. It was very good. I don't know the recipe used for smoking but it seems pretty mellow flavored. I didn't know what to expect but I got only some strips of bacon that look like you get at the store, not many, but whatever, I don't care if it's small strips or chunks or whatever. I want to eat more, now.

It also makes me excited to smoke some of the big thick cuts to see how they'll go. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Crossroads

I haven't gotten the slicer out yet, so what I've eaten has been sliced a bit thick, which is fine by me. 

newoodguy78

Aig I wonder if his slicer was a bit dull or the meat was just a touch above being cold. I've had both those situations effect how a slicer cuts. It certainly doesn't bother the flavor though. 
Whenever I cut up pork was always looking for the fat to be snow white, if it started getting translucent at all was a sign it was warming up a little. Once that happens it starts getting harder to make nice cuts and the fat starts sticking which makes it tough. 
Same goes when grinding sausage anytime the head started plugging I would take and run a handful of ice and send it through. Almost always cleared it right up

aigheadish

It's entirely possible that is the case. It doesn't bother me much to not have perfectly cut strips of bacon, and they fit on a BLT yesterday beautifully. 

I'm looking into how to make sausage, like brats or italian sausages and buying a sausage stuffer and they make some noise about the material being close to freezing is ideal, I'll have to keep that in mind. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

newoodguy78

Making sausage is something I really enjoy. Personally I prefer loose sausage over links but that's just me. One thing we found is to grind, get it mixed really well then let it sit for at least a day. Gives the sausage a much more consistent preferable taste throughout. Feel like the spices mellow each other out and disperse their flavor evenly through the meat that way. 

doc henderson

In our scout troop, "bacon" is considered a sentence, not just a word.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crossroads

That sentence isn't complete without an (!) 

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crossroads

Thank You Sponsors!