iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue Streak

Started by Norwiscutter, December 08, 2004, 09:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

Anyone got any experience yet on the new Baker?  Seams to be a pretty big machine.  Haven't had a chance to get a look at it other than in the magazines and was wondering if any feed back was available as of yet.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Danny_S

You must mean "Blue Streak"... unless your having smurf for supper!  :D
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Percy

QuoteYou must mean "Blue Streak"... unless your having smurf for supper!  :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Percy

Whoooa you guys are killin me here :D :D :D
I checked the Baker Website and didnt see no Blue Steak :D :D or streak :D :DNo offence NORWISCUTTER, but my gut is hurtin right now from laffin soo hard :D

Percy

:D :D :Dsomebody call me a doctor :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GareyD

Uhhhh...OK

You're a doctor!!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist ;D ;D ;D ;D

GareyD
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

DanG

It didn't take you guys long to jump on that one, did it? :D :D

I wuz gonna say I like my steaks sorta reddish brown, but blue is better than green. ;D  There's a meat company hereabouts that deliver's to some of the local eateries. The sign on their truck says, "The Green Poultry Co."  I tend to avoid the restaurants where I see that truck. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Glad to see that you aren't running a-fowl of too-aged-beef, DanG. :)

Jeff

NORWISCUTTER, I fixed yer typo, but these other yahoos are on their own.

I saw the big Baker at Pahul Paul Bunyan and she was an impressive looking machine.

Fixed by one of the other Yahoos. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norwiscutter

I set em up, you guys nock em down. :D :D Although now that you mention it, even a blue steak sounds pretty good right now. Maybe that is what them grit's taste good with. ::)

I was just wondering what the impression was of the machine as a worthwhile upgrade from the 3638 frame.  For the most part it seams as if you are getting a little bit largger cutting head with greater capacity- 34 inch between guides and 16 inches above the blade.  The capacity to run a two inch band blade, and a whole heck of a lot more horsepower.

The most attractive aspect of the mill to me is the increased cutting capacity and the two inch blades.  I am a skeptic when it comed to the necessity of having so much Horsepower and tend to wonder if running that much power makes sense economically. It is a pretty nice machine, but do you guys think that it is worth the upgrade from the 3638 for the horse power and other advantages?  

My wife says that if I get a new mill, it has to be a baker because it matches my blue tractor. :D

Percy

Your a good sport NORWISCUTTER ;D
I dont know too much about the Blue Steak...uhh I mean Streak and I am a Woodmizer guy but I wouldnt be scared of anything Baker offers. Every piece Ive seen that they make is tuff as ever, well thought out and  cuts as fast as the best of them. What publication did you see the Blue Streak in? Id be interested in learning more about it...
Later
Percy

EZ

Even tho I only run 16 hp on my mill, an extra 10 hp would help it alot. I was down at the P.B. Fes. also and the biggest log Baker sawed was 18 inch dia and went threw it like butter. I could be wrong for saying this but I think all that hp is a bit over kill.
EZ

Kevin

You guys are lucky it's slow on the chain saw forum tonight.;)

BLUE STREAK

Norwiscutter

Thanks Kevin, that is the first write up I have scene other than the information from the factory and the ad on the back of sawmill&woodlot.  This artical centers on the resaw system and not the portable mill, but if I can get that heated cab and about 3 board pullers, I would be a very happy camper this time of year.

From the factory information I got, I will go over some of the highlights:

67 Horse John Deer Diesel 4 cylinder, or 30 and 40 horse three Phase
 puter controlled head raising and lowering rack & pinion
2 inch blade option
16x30 inch throat with 34 inch between guides
standard log capacity of 16 ft and 24 ft, with extensions out to 32 ft.

Most of the rest of the stuff is the same as the 3638.

Norwiscutter

That is one of the things I was wondering about too EZ.  I am one of those have and not need guys, rather than the other way around, but when having all that HP comes at a price, I tend to wonder if the increase in initial cost and avarage operating costs is worth the extra ponies.  On the other hand, if a larger blade warrents the increase in HP, then by all means, I am a taker.  I know there have been discussions before by the smarter folks here regarding the science of HP verses blade size, set, resistance. There obviously has to be a point where higher HP only increases operating costs, not production.  I wonder Where that point is?  Obviously, the main variable will be what is being cut, as overkill on small logs is different from overkill on the larger ones. But, assuming a mean log diameter in the 15 -20 inch range, What would be the max HP practical for the most efficent production and operationg costs? From a production stand point though, I can see that it would probably be easy to recoop the increased operating cost if more production can truely be equated to an increase in HP.  If I produce just 50 ft. more in a day @.25BF thats 12.50 extra, which would probably take care of the increased fuel demands and maintanance costs of say, a 42 horse diesel compared to a 67 horse.

EZ

Alot to think about if you are thinking about more hp and bigger blade. I imagine the two inch blades will be a little more cost also. I would think about what is your adverage log in dia. Say if it is 18 inch then a 42 hp would be plenty, this is just my guess.
I wish you the best on what you deside.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!