iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

QS sycamore drying and stickers.

Started by Dave Shepard, March 27, 2024, 12:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I have three large sycamore logs that I'm going to quarter at some point this summer. Air drying is probably my only option. I'm looking for sticker suggestions. I don't have any now, so I want to make sure I get something that won't stain the lumber. Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doc henderson

It tends to have spiral grain and will try to twist.  mill it thicker than you want for final dimension.  stickers closer together (like 16 inches), and lots of weight, and or banding that can be tightened as it dries and shrinks.  dry stickers are best and a light-colored wood.  sycamore would be fine but may twist, maple would work or even poplar/cottonwood.  If you can mill the stickers and let them dry that is good.  @YellowHammer has a video on how to make stickers with less wood contact, using his dado set, table saw and a power feed.

save, saw, sweep, stack, sticker, secure, and dry one log at a time - Page 2 (forestryforum.com)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcrfH66gBI4
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

What Doc said :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sycamore will sticker stain when air drying if it's not in the right spot.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tule peak timber

All the above, plus we roll sticker stain prone woods every two weeks until things start drying out a bit. Restacking with the stickers moved over a little each time we roll the lift over. A lot of the stain depends on the time of year the logs were cut, and usually we just do it anyway from experience. Sycamore out here is mostly urban timber, so we don't get a choice on how much or when.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!