iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About to jump off the cliff

Started by pegs1, March 15, 2007, 10:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT40HDD51

Quote from: wwsjr on March 23, 2007, 03:19:46 PM
...The LT40 models that cut 21 feet have several extension options. Not sure of the limits...

6', 12', 24' for the non-remotes, only 6' for the remotes because of the cat-track.
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

pegs1

Quote from: Haytrader on March 24, 2007, 08:59:32 PM
I might suggest yet another mill to consider. Take a look at the Brand X swinger.
If I remember right, there are pictures on the website showing cutting long logs.
If I understand what you are wanting to saw and the number of pieces, I don't see spending mega bucks when you already have machinery to handle the logs and turn them. Just sit any manual bandmill or swinger on a slabwhere it would be easier to level.
These mills will surprise  you as to production.

I have looked at the Brand X swinger,   I also got D L's dvd today in the mail.   They are saying basically the samething as you Haytrader.

They don't offer a log loader as an option because they figure you must have something to handle the log with in the first place.  Which for me is true.   They have a pretty nice friction live feed too.

They also have the twin blade model so I wouldn't need a seperate edger .   The bigger one had  a pretty good sized blade on it.   I "think" if there aren't any problems keeping those two blades perfectly 90 degrees to each other, then that twin blade system would probably work really well for us.   Basically since we aren't too worried about getting every inch of flat bdft, but more concerned about the timber.... Sooooo if the top is cut nice and flat and you roll it competely over so its sitting on the flat cut side.... than from there you should be able to cut the other 3 sides perfectly square to each other without to much difficulty.  I said I "think" because I don't really have a clue.  LOL  But it makes sense to me.   The guy that cuts for us now has a pretty nice band saw converted to electric.  Nice quiet mill,   They cut a lot of lumber full time and timbers for at least two other timber framers that I know of.    But at least in his case....experience and a bandsaw don't equal square timbers.   Aside from trying to save some money the other thing that would really be nice is ...... square timbers.   It takes a lot of dickin around to square a 30 ft long 8x10 so its perfectly straight and square the whole length of the timber and even then if it comes out perfect.....you were lucky......If its straight and square to start with it takes just a few minutes to plane and its done.

Unless somebody has some bad stories about it.   That one's in my favorites list.

Thank You Sponsors!