iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green House Solar Kiln

Started by Stillwell57, December 06, 2019, 09:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillwell57

In the beginning of next year I am going to be putting up a homemade greenhouse (18'x30') over a pre existing concrete slab which I am going to be using as a solar kiln and growing a few plants in the spring. The greenhouse will have electric eventually and I will be putting in a 30'' fan in the wall with automatic shutter on the other wall (set up like a proper greenhouse.

My plan was to stack the wood and use traps to make sure the air flows through the piles of wood.

The thing I am not sure is how should I control the fan? Based of temperature or humidity and what would be some settings to use as targets?
I will be drying mostly northern red oak and am not concerned about dry time but would like to have the highest quality possible.
Thanks in advanced for your help. :)
Homemade sawmill and I'm still figuring out what I'm doing.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Humidity for oak is the most critical, but so is air flow and heat.  Oak is one of the more difficult species to dry, so read as much as you can to learn how.  Drying Hardwood Lumber is the main text.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Stillwell57

So you would recommend using a humidity controller to turn on the fan?

doc henderson

with solar kilns, there is usually small vents that are opened a bit.  on start up if the oak is green, and if a large space, you may not want any venting until the humidity comes up.  if there are leaks you may not need any venting.  the core is wet, and if the surface dries too much, it will check.  I think I recall the initial humidity is like 85%.  a forced air fan to vent may be too much.  it is good for a green house, where you want the sun, but not too hot.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You can use a humidistat to turn on the fans, but more important is using a humidistat to turn off the fans when the RH is too low.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Stillwell57

Do you have any recommendations for any certain humidistat?

Thank You Sponsors!