iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAN

Quote from: ehp on June 05, 2023, 10:13:49 AM
Ban.   What year and size. Cannot see the picture well enough to tell. I still say the Clark's are the best skidder made but certain styles and years were alot better than others
84' 666. Has a Detroit but it's a tight machine.  Only two owners and it sat most the time. 6000 hours

ehp

Good machine.  We had a 85 with 5.9 cummins in it 

ehp

nativewolf

Ugly walnut will avg about $2.5 I guess
Liking Walnut

doc henderson

some of the ugly ones are the most beautiful on the inside.  :) May be a metaphore from high school.  Do not marry the home coming queen. :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

cutterboy

Quote from: PoginyHill on June 05, 2023, 07:42:39 AM

I don't see any heartwood in that ash. Unless the camera is playing tricks on me.
You are right. After reading your post I went out and checked the logs. There is no heartwood in any of the three logs.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

PoginyHill

It's interesting to see how market demand for certain "looks" in wood products changes. For a period of time, natural grade hardwood veneer in ash was the rage (mix of heart and sap in the same panel). Currently, overall demand for ash is waned somewhat, but the demand now is primarily for sap grades - no heartwood. Since plywood and solid lumber are generally used for the same products (e.g. cabinets), manufacturers want to match the plywood look to that of solid lumber, so I'm guessing the sawlog market demand for ash is similar. Ash has never been a huge volume compared to the big three - birch, oak, and maple, but has tailed off noticeably in recent years. I thought there might be more demand as the supply of logs grows less with the emerald ash borer.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mudfarmer

So what causes the no heartwood? The ash I have been cutting has big hearts, grinch after his heart grew 3 sizes that day hearts. There is no heart size restriction on grades from my buyer though like there is with maple

PoginyHill

A forester can better answer the question of heart size. I'm guessing climate and/or soil would impact that. Locally here in Vermont we'll normally have at least 1/2 heart. The best veneer grade ash has less than 1/3 heart.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

cutterboy

I find this question of heart size very interesting. I'm guessing it's the soil that makes the difference and maybe the growth rate of the tree. The tree with no heart was from a grown up pasture. Now, on the opposite end of the farm, maybe half a mile away, there are big ash with big hearts. Anyway, I'll be cutting more ash from that grown up pasture and I'll be looking to see the heart size.

stavebuyer

Extreme heart variability occurs in other "white woods" too like Maple and Hickory. Often times here they will come off the stump with a small heart and it will increase in % going up the tree. I don't know the cause but sure know the "cost" at sale time. 

Resonator

Example of the smallest heart size sugar maple I've cut on my land, heart always tends to be bigger. Cut this tree last winter, and got a nice 11' butt log that made white, clear, 1x6's. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

cutterboy

Quote from: stavebuyer on June 08, 2023, 04:28:57 PM
 Often times here they will come off the stump with a small heart and it will increase in % going up the tree. 
Yes stavebuyer, yesterday I cut an ash that had no heart at the stump but at the other end of the first log there was a small heart.

BargeMonkey

I only had 1wk, fields done and seeded, have a bigger one up in the back to do. 

It ain't fancy but it works. Probably had a 12/71 in it when it started life, small cam cummins now. 

Was home 2 days and the phone rang, told them the insanity is coming to an end and cut wood when I get back. 4 new people on this boat with me, fresh out of the shipyard, like a Chinese fire drill, when the engineer is the navigator around NY harbor you've got problems. 😆 

Firewoodjoe

From one to the next. Mill ground. Mostly oak. Getting a proper hair cut. If I just had a good 15 ton forwarder we'd be dangerous! Well maybe not so dangerous😂

so il logger

No pictures but I had a visitor for most of the afternoon. Mike belben is alive and well. Very intelligent and good down to earth fella he is.

rdobb13

@so il logger

If ya don't mind mention to him to go home through southern Ohio. 

nativewolf

Almost finished this slow slow field walnut harvest.  
Liking Walnut

olcowhand

Quote from: so il logger on June 20, 2023, 12:36:51 AM
No pictures but I had a visitor for most of the afternoon. Mike belben is alive and well. Very intelligent and good down to earth fella he is.
I remember earlier in this thread, you and Mike discussing your Slick-stumping technique. He seemed to have mastered it, and many of us learned a few things....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

chep

I follow mike on the utube. He is certified hoarder. Gets up to some pretty fun stuff.
I miss his contributions here. Very outside the box thinker

OH logger

john

PoginyHill

OH logger

😂 I thought you were just calling him a hoarder...not that his you tube channel was called  that lol
john

Firewoodjoe

If he's reading this he should change it lol i kept getting A&E hoarding shows! But I'm just a logger trying to search info on something I still don't understand 😂 

I'm still moving wood. But it's tight out there. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: nativewolf on June 20, 2023, 06:31:27 PM

Almost finished this slow slow field walnut harvest.  
Well those aren't 30" cream puffs 😂

Thank You Sponsors!