iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling all Motorheads!

Started by Jeff, April 04, 2017, 01:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm trying to figure out what Carburetor is on the engine in Tammy's Blazer.  It has an Edelbrock intake and valve covers. I think it could be an Edelbrock carb, but I can't find any markings on it. If it had a tag, its gone now.  Reason is, there is zero choke on it. the Butterfly isn't even there.

Here are a couple pictures.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

coxy

Jeff

Put is on facebook and a drag racing friend I.D.'ed it a a Carter/Edelbrock AFB. Knowing that, I was able to find the id numbers on it. Looks like it is a 3224 600 CFM.   May be impossible to find a choke plate without finding an old junk carb.

chevytaHOE5674

Edelbrock.

Best bet for parts maybe a used parts carb.

snowstorm

Isn't a elderbrok a copy or an old Carter. Mopar used carter's. I had a couple 340 mopart. 1 Carter 1 with a holley. It's hard to tell from the pic. If the vacuum dash pot pull off is there. Along with the bi.metal spring for the heat riser. Or use a cable. The best way is a electric choke. There may be a up date kit. Try summit raccing.

Jeff

The problem is the whole choke butterfly is gone. Most anything else I can find.

Corley5

Early Edelbrocks were remanufactured Carters then they ran out of old carbs so they began reproducing them  :) 8)  That's the story I've heard  ;) ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

scsmith42

Edelbrock bought manufacturing rights to the Carter AFB back in the 80's. That IS an AFB, or Edelbrock version of one.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

sO ANYBODY GOT A JUNK ONE? :D DANG CAPLoCk

coxy

umm had 2 that went to the bone yard 3 weeks ago 

Jeff

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Not much help but paying attention.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Autocar

Jeff if you end up drawing a blank on the carburetor I have a friend up at Oakwood Ohio that has a woods full of ford trucks ect.
Bill

Don P

It looks the same as an Edelbrock 1406 aftermarket 600 cfm, maybe widen your junk search?

snowstorm

70,so Mopar 340 360 383 440 used them. Try summit racing they sell them. Some took the choke plate thinking it would flow more air. And a lot of marine engines still use Carbs.

dustyhat

Its a absolute edelbrock carb , yes go to advance auto ,they can order all the parts you need.

sprucebunny

I think this is the same basic carb. Off a 383 Chrysler.
Looks like it might be possible to make your own choke plate :)

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

snowstorm

Your picture looks like a double pump holley.

Jeff

Yea, I don't think it would be even close to mine Joan.

sprucebunny

I don't know what it is. Had Edelbrock air screen thing.

Choke plate is similar and doesn't look very hard to make. Post some measurements, Jeff. If it's close, you can have the plate.

This one is
3 9/16+ long by about 1 ⅞ wide
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ox

Try giving Summit Racing a call.  Maybe even cruise their website.  They're a big dealer in Edelbrock stuff and should probly get you the parts you need.
Warning:  you'll see stuff in there you'll "need" to get for your V8 engines.  It takes courage to look at their catalog and not spend anything.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sandhills

Speedway in Lincoln, Ne might be another option, but as Ox stated with either, you've already started down a slippery slope  :D.  First thing done to our old dirt track carb was get rid of the choke plate but we were running an old quadrapuke.

red

There is a chance your Carburetor on that engine is tuned with Jets and metering rods . The Distributor can also have performance weights for the camshaft and intake manifold. Maybe you can get thru the summer as it is . Then have an answer for the choke in the fall.  I like trying to fix what you have rather than replacing parts. The Carter carbs were know for being good on gas.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

It's not something that is of hight priority, and really probably isn't all that necessary once warm weather gets here. Even cold, it still starts pretty good by just pumping it, and warms up and idles within a couple minutes.  I'd say it was removed because the engine was previously in stock car according to the previous owners story. The choke plate removal would make sense.

Ox

Could just keep it simple and be quick with your foot pumping for cold starts.  It's an artform but soon you'll be able to feather that cold engine like a pro and not have it stall again.  I had an old 77 Scottsdale w/ 350 and Quadrajet and no choke as a kid on the farm.  On the really cold days my foot looked like a rabbit doing the nasty but I was able to keep her running.  Only took a few minutes and she'd idle on her own for warmup.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!