iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old timey white wash

Started by DWM II, December 30, 2007, 07:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

I found a formula for old school white wash and was wondering if anyone has used something similar and to what results.

Here's the one I found:
3 parts powdered lime
1 part salt
4 parts water

I'm gonna use it on a pine picket fence for my wife, instructions say that it sets into the wood similar to a stain instead of sitting on the surface like paint. This particular fence will be inside of a studio, so its not subject to outside elements, but I am curious as to how it would do. Reckon I'll set a few boards out to see how they do.  ;)
Stewardship Counts!

Don_Papenburg

Is this lime ,as in limestone dust, i.e.  ag lime ?????????????
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

DWM II

It called for hydrated lime specifically. ???
Stewardship Counts!

beenthere

Similar to what we used to spray on the ceiling and walls in the dairy barns, and I would expect you will get "white" if you rub up against it....just so you know ahead... :) :)

Used barn lime or gray lime for the floors and walkways....not the hydrated lime in the white wash.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

I'm wondering what the salt is for.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

rbhunter

I wonder if the salt will help set the lime on the wood. Just guessing. My mom used to use epsom salt to help set colors in new garments in the wash the first time.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Tom

I've heard of milk being used in white wash, but its usual formulation is hydrated lime and water.   It's put on tree trunks to keep the bugs off of the trees and the animals from gnawing the bark.  They think it helps to keep squirrels out of the trees too.  .......not!!

It's not unusual to see yard trees (hardwoods) painted with lime from the ground to about 5 feet.  I suppose the most undisputed arguement for doing it is 1: esthetics and 2: leaching of lime into the ground which will sweeten it and combat the acidity caused by the decay of he leaves.

LeeB

Well now. I always wondered why they painted the trees like that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ohsoloco

Tom, for the life of me I couldn't understand why the farm down the road has all of their yard trees painted white from the ground up to about 5 or 6 feet.  I often stumble upon answers to unasked questions around here  ;)

Warbird

"Old timey white wash".  When I first read that, I thought it said "Old time white trash" and I was afraid to click the link!

submarinesailor

Ditto what Warbird said.  I was afaid you guys were talking about me. ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Cowboy Bob

Boy that brings back memories. When I was a youngin we used that stuff everywhareWinter time used to do the whole milkin barn , pollsheds, hog pens ,heifer and
calf sheds. Summer time all the board fence on the place  even did chiceen houses to.
We used to mix it 4 to 5 mix and it dint stick use half measur of lime. Be sure to wear
gloves to paint that stuff with it has no murcy on hand eyes or skin. Have fun, GIT ER DONE,,
                                         ......AINT IT SO.........
Creek Dairy Sales~Owner/Operator
Cows or Bulls~You want em, we buy em, I sell em
Quality not Quantity

Ed_K

I'm not old enough  ;D but don't the milk make a nice pale yellow.I watch a barn in Vt. that the new owners painted over that was a pretty yellow,I expect the new red paint to peel off soon.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!