iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

Quote from: KEC on May 02, 2021, 11:23:48 AM
HemlocKing, Just off my driveway is a big hard maple with dead limbs, numerous woodpecker holes. So recently, a saw a Downy Woodpecker working on creating a hole, presumably to nest in. Saw that a couple times, then shortly after a Red-breasted Nuthatch was working on the same hole. I'm very curious as to how this will play out. Many birds, during courtship the female will beg food from the males with wings aflutter just like a baby bird. Yesterday the female Red-breasted Nuthatch was doing that near a feeding station.
Those red nuthatches are around here too, I've actually had a couple land on my hand, although they are much more suspicious than the chickadees which I can basically get to land on my hand at any time, they seem to know me now. Nut hatches make those "beeping" calls and I That's how I know they are close lol 
A1

HemlockKing

So the woodpecker ended up returning...I did not see the ducks around though? woodpecker went back inside his hole like nothing happend....but get this, today those 2 wood ducks returned and went inside AGAIN, I couldn't sit around long enough to watch much unfortunately, to be honest, I have a lot of pileated wood peckers around, these wood ducks were something I dont see much ;D
A1

Chuck White

I saw the first Hummingbird (Ruby Throated) at my feeders on the 4th, yesterday he was in about every 5 minutes or so.

I'm pretty sure that there's only one so far, because if there's 2 or more they fight over the feeders!

Found a few Robin eggs out in the back yard, on the ground!

I'm thinking the early spring has them screwed up and they're laying their eggs before they even get their nests made!

Robins are one of my least favorite birds because they seem to want to make their nests where I don't want it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

HemlockKing

Quote from: Chuck White on May 06, 2021, 08:33:51 AM
I saw the first Hummingbird (Ruby Throated) at my feeders on the 4th, yesterday he was in about every 5 minutes or so.

I'm pretty sure that there's only one so far, because if there's 2 or more they fight over the feeders!

Found a few Robin eggs out in the back yard, on the ground!

I'm thinking the early spring has them screwed up and they're laying their eggs before they even get their nests made!

Robins are one of my least favorite birds because they seem to want to make their nests where I don't want it!
I don't mind robins, they aren't very social and like being away from humans though :D. 
Pileated woodpecker has been still living in his home. No idea where the ducks went. Now that I know they are around though I will make some bigger nest boxes to hopefully attract them, they were quite a sight to see.
A1

doc henderson

our orioles are back.  lots of singing, calling this time of year.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

I put a new iron pot hook up suspended from overhead from an uncovered wooden beam on the south porch. It will hold a new hummingbird feeder. Won't be any hummers for a couple weeks, but plan to put sugar out first day it hits 70F. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Well heard the white nut hatches going nuts... whut do I see? Porcupine thinking he's going up my red spruce to de bark it. News for him(in .22 caliber). I'm so sick of these things destroying all my trees. Especially oak and pine.
A1

SwampDonkey

I saw 2 adult barred owls today in the woods, together. A real surprise. I was driving through a stand of fir and all the sudden I saw big wings and then one landed on a fir and I saw his owl face. ;D

And I also saw a northern harrier chowing down on a turkey he must have killed earlier.

No photos though. :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 07, 2021, 04:31:56 PM
I saw 2 adult barred owls today in the woods, together. A real surprise. I was driving through a stand of fir and all the sudden I saw big wings and then one landed on a fir and I saw his owl face. ;D

And I also saw a northern harrier chowing down on a turkey he must have killed earlier.

No photos though. :-\
I seen one early this morning! Heard them hooting at each other all night, they were arguing over territory I think! He did a low fly over me 
A1

Chuck White

There was a bunch of Tree Swallows that flew in yesterday!

They weren't here very long before they were fighting over birdhouses!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old saw fixer

Still hearing the Quail, I hope they will make a come back.  They have been gone for several years...
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

SwampDonkey

I heard the brown thrasher this morning at day break, coffee in hand on the porch. :)

Brown Thrasher Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

HemlockKing

Watched this guy go to work on some logs I had sitting. I could hear the bugs inside chewing the wood, CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH(anyone know the specific insect that does this? Logs been dead awhile)
He showed up and I got to see his work up close, these guys are crazy efficient! Within 5 mins he had 3 different bore holes way opened up dug in a inch, just enough so he could reach them and gobble them up. 
A1

thecfarm

Someone will know the the exact name, But them critters have about 2-3 inch antennas on their heads.  ;D 
My Father and me cut some pine here. On yea them noise makers attacked the limbs we left behind. Could even see the sawdust coming out of the limbs at times.  :o I have no idea where they come from or how they know that dinner was ready for them.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I believe that is a Pileated Woodpecker and the bugs he/she is searching out are pine beetles. I find when I hear them working on a dead log that as I approach, they feel my footsteps and go quiet and wait for a while until it's safe. They probably do the same thing for birds.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

woodroe

Yup, Pine Beetles and their larvae are doing the chompin. Its quite the chorus when a bunch of em
are gnawing away.
I split some pine firewood rounds cut last year recently that were loaded with
them although they seemed to be still sleeping from the winter.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

HemlockKing

That’s a American (downy)woodpecker. Pileated woodpeckers are much bigger.
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 13, 2021, 06:08:18 AM
I believe that is a Pileated Woodpecker and the bugs he/she is searching out are pine beetles. I find when I hear them working on a dead log that as I approach, they feel my footsteps and go quiet and wait for a while until it's safe. They probably do the same thing for birds.
Some times I give the log a tap and they stop chewing  :D . I always see these woodpeckers but it had just dawned on me then that they also locate the bugs through the sound of chewing 
A1

Chuck White

Saw the first of the season, Baltimore Oriole yesterday!

Got some grape jelly out there, but he must have been just scouting the area, we'll see if he comes back today!

Hilltop366

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 13, 2021, 05:25:47 AMI could hear the bugs inside chewing the wood, CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH(anyone know the specific insect that does this? Logs been dead awhile)

My guess either Spruce beetle or Brown spruce long horn beetle.

https://novascotia.ca/natr/forestprotection/foresthealth/sheets/spruceb1.pdf

Lots of good info here.

https://novascotia.ca/natr/woodlot/pdf/Woodlot-Field-Guide-to-Pests-of-the-Acadian-Forest.pdf

Skip

I got orioles, catbirds, hummers and redbreasted woodpeckers all at the jelly feeder, guess I better stock up on grape jelly.Saw a male and female rose breasted grosbeak yesterday . Woodpeckers like the hummer feeder too ,don't take them long to figure how to hang on and drink .

aigheadish

Birds are pretty cool. Our pileated woodpeckers are huge! Like chicken sized and they sound just like Woody Woodpecker. There are probably 5 or so that hang around my yard a lot. We've also got lots of blue jays, robins, some very pretty blueish/purple thing, owls that I mostly only hear in the morning, occasionally I get lucky enough to have heron or ducks in the pond, and a lot of some kind of bird who's song is like 60 different noises, lots of cardinals, occasional yellow birds of some type, hawks, turkey vultures, crows, whatever the little woodpeckers are, hummingbirds are just coming in and we'll have about 30 that hang around before too long (fighting each other like mini fighter planes!)... I'm sure I'm missing more. I love watching them.

To the point of woodpeckers being efficient... I have some oak stumps along my driveway that were cut off at ground level a couple years back. They are/were low enough to mow over without worrying too much about them but after about a season of woodpeckers they've managed to grind a few of the 5 or so stumps down to dust. It's beautiful!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

HemlockKing

In my immediate area I have about 7-8 pileated woodpeckers, they are everywhere! I love hearing their calls!
A1

SwampDonkey

Sawyer beetles larva doing the crunching and also I get bark beetles, those tiny ambrosia type beetles. They make brown powder and pin sized holes. By the gazillions. ;D

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!