iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Novembers wood in a barn

Started by Tom, December 16, 2002, 08:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The first week of november I sawed the wood that is going into this 60'x65' barn.  Its purpose is for heavy equipment repair.

The enclosed side is for a living area for the owner while he builds his new house. It is being sheeted with 1'x12' Southern Yellow Pine. (He's in the bibs and his wife is nailing)

Yep! Everybody needs one of these.

CHARLIE

I've seen safer ways to stand on a step ladder and nail. :o  Hope they put in a lot of insulation for the winter. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

ADfields

Winter heck!   I been under a tin roof down south in the sun!   Thay can bake things next 4th of july even if thay dont want them baked! :o

I lived in a trailer house in Arizona some and the power went out when I was at work once.   When I got home I found wax from the wifes candles turned to puddles and the frige compresser cooked and all in it bad, ect, ect.  
Andy

Paul_H

That's a great looking building,I would like something similar one day.Our snow load rating is high,but a engineer could solve that problem.

I see that even the little boy is helping out,I'll bet he will always remember it.

Good fun for a kid!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Norm

That is one nice building, what other kinds of wood did you saw up for the framing or was it all SYP.

I remember helping my dad put an addition on our house when I was about 6 years old. My contribution was finding the biggest board available to practice my nailing skills. It was a 16' 2X12. My dad never had much of a sense of humor, I sat down pretty gingerly for the next few days.

sawyerkirk

I was doing a cutting job for a family and as I cut the boards, they were being nailed up, I looked over at a very fresh poplar sided wall and their youngest child had a can of my fluoresent orange paint painting the wall, it still bleeds thru the paint they tried to cover it with!!

Tom

The building is all SYP.  We don't build with much else but that and Cypress and Cypress is getting to be a little on the rare side.  I've cut hardwoods, like poplar, for chicken barns when they didn't care what they were nailing up, but it's mostly SYP.

The little boy is the Grandson and he measured everything within reach.  He had his own 25' measuring tape and wanted to do everything just like his Granddaddy.

WV_hillbilly

That 's a real nice looking building you sawed out for those people. I want to build an out building also but can't decide whether to go with a wooden or steel siding one . That little boy reminds me of my 4 year old . He was into tape measures but Now he's into cordless drills. I have just refinished the oak floor in my daughters room and was moving the kiddy gate. He disappeared with drill in hand .Next thing I hear is wife throwing a fit. He had the drill sunk into the floor . I didn't think it was funny but he told me he was just helpin me so don't get mad . As I'm explaining why he shouldn't do that  he tells me I probably did that when I was a kid too. I then told him he must be spending too much time at grannies

HILLBILLY
Hillbilly

Jeff

QuoteI want to build an out building also but can't decide whether to go with a wooden or steel siding one

I can not believe you said that here. :o ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Hillbilly,  make sure you save that hole to show to him when he becomes a young man.  It will hang over his head like a Sword of Damocles. :D

Jeff, A metal "out" building would be rather uncomfortable.  I'll bet he goes with wood.

sawmill_john

Hillbilly,  ;)
I know what you mean about those darn parents!, they remember everything!  My son (5) and niece (4) used my carpenters pencil on the newlly preped redwood deck, it was the largest scratch pad you've seen, luckily when I found the scribilling the kids were in the house and was able to vent the initial anger by yelling  :-X things like gosh darn it, Dan G. little tikes, you know the drill.
After thinking about what they did I remembered back 35 years ago when I had scratched a design into the entry way hand rail of my parents newly built house.  Pay backs come when you least expect them.  When I told my dad what had happened to my deck, he brought up the hand rail incedent, amoung  other things I did growing up. ::)

RMay

Tom that is a nice building , are you going to saw the wood for the new house .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Tom

Yep, every stick. There won't be much left from this cutting so we'll be starting from scratch.  He just bought a 25 inch Woodmaster planer and log cabin moulding blades and v blades and tongue and groove and stuff for his ceiling and floor and some of the walls.   That's all a fellow needs is an excuse and ......here comes another piece of equipment :D

RMay

Tom that is the kind of customer I like to work with , let us no how the log cabin moulding blades work out .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

WV_hillbilly

Hey Jeff,
  Don't get your dander up .    ;) I only threw that steel thing in there to see if you had time to read all of the posts. I read the thread the other day about Paul Harvey remark .I find it hard to understand why people are so bias against harvesting wood. They must be uneducated about the subject.

Tom I hope to put up a pole barn next summer. As I don't have a mill yet I will probably cut the trees down and have a mobile unit come in to saw them.I Know it won't be SYP as it doesn't grow up here in my neck of the woods. It will most likely be poplar as I have alot of that on my property.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!