iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a 60's tree farmer input needed

Started by concretecutter, March 18, 2015, 06:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

concretecutter

Looking to purchase this skidder wondering what everyone input is on it and what it's worth can you still get parts.

60's Tree farmer cable skidder. Excellent rubber. Fordson english diesel runs great. Gearamatic #9 winch pulls great. Winch clutch shoes just relined.

MJD

tantoy

What model? 10,15, or C model? Pictures please!!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

concretecutter

Model c is there a way to post pictures off an iPhone

jocco

Fordson english diesel???  Better think twice before you roll the dice :o smiley_eek_dropjaw
You may check out but you will never leave

currantvt

If it is the Fordson 4D engine out of the Major then they are great , very simple and good starters, not sure what the spares situation is though. The later Ford stuff put in the 1000 series from the mid 60s have porous block susceptibilities , I have had two that went that way and even the  new type block is not 100% , I was told it was caused by turbulence eroding the castings - they have a special antifreeze / additive nowadays apparently.

loggah

If it has a Cotta transfer case they are almost impossible to get parts for. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

mad murdock

If it is priced right, you can always swap out the unobtainium parts for ones that are more available. They are nice component built machines and lend themselves well to changing to fit serviceability for today. A lot of different engine/powertrain options you can change it to to keep it running for a long time,IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Rybo

Man I'm pretty sure I know what machine you are looking at. No doubt would I say that it is a smoking deal. I have same machine. If I had the money laying in my hands I'd of bought it by now. I'd have twins. Machine has good rubber, relined winch, etc.  mine has dagenham diesel. Super sippy on fuel. Chech planetaries. I replaced two this year. But bought machine for $4,000 and drove it home about 25miles and pulled 120 cord before they got bad. Plus machine was a bit neglected.  I really enjoy the machine. Simple enough for a pollack like me. Found a good parts guy also. Worth there weight in gold.

HiTech

You could have a Dorset Diesel or a Dover Diesel...254 cubic inch. Does it have a decompressor lever on the engine? If so they sip fuel also and have decent power. Your fuel injector pump may not be fed oil from the motor. You have to change oil separately and refill. You will have a oil fill plug on top then an oil fill level plug and a drain plug on the bottom. Sims i believe is the name on them. Any parts that maybe hard to find...After Market probably has them or perhaps your local parts store. They are a good dependable machine. When turning tight corners in good traction going you can save the planetary gears by dropping the hitch and taking the pressure off one side or the other depending on which way you turn and when straight again winch the hitch back up. May take a minute more but saves dollars in the long haul. Good luck

tantoy

I lost track of what machine we are even talking about smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Thank You Sponsors!