iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks Sharpener VS Dinasaw

Started by rick42wood, May 22, 2020, 06:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick42wood

I am researching Sharpeners and Setters and have narrowed the selection to either Cooks or Dinasaw.  Both seem to be well built compared to most others but the price reflects it. It seems though that the Cooks requires more stuff to be purchased to cover different blade brands where the Dinasaw can just be adjusted for various blades.  Having to buy a different cam for a different blade brand would seem to preclude sharpening other peoples blades as a side line.  Would like to hear opinions from anyone using either.
Old guy, Still learning

Bruno of NH

I'm looking into a sharpener and setter. 
The Dinasaw look interesting to me.
I have reached out to 2 places that sell them and no one has got back to me.
I was wondering if it ran without cams.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

hamish

I have the Dinasaw sharpener and setter, quality is out standing as is the performance.  It takes a lil to understand how to set it up and adjust.  Consider it like buying a Mercedes vs a Kia.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Brian_Rhoad

I have 2 Dinasaw sharpeners. I haven't found a blade I can't sharpen with the adjustments. They do take some time to figure out but I like how they work.

Bruno of NH

Is the grind wheel on the Dina saw a dry cbn ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brian_Rhoad

I think you can get a CBN wheel for it. I like the bonded wheels. I shape the wheel to fine tune the sharpening.

Bruno of NH

Could you guys with the Dina saw point me to a place I could buy one?
Do you have the fully auto or hand crank ?
Thanks

Brian_Rhoad

I have one of each. They are the older models. 

Bailey's sells them.  Bailey's

rick42wood

The Dinasaw Australian web site has a link to find distributors.
Old guy, Still learning

farmfromkansas

You guys need to get Tom the Sawyer to add his comment to this post.  He has a Timberking sharpener, and says it is adjustable.  Less expensive than either of the others discussed.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

uler3161

Dinasaw sharpener owner here. I think we bought it maybe 13 or 14 years ago. It is a very versatile machine due to the adjustments as well as the bevel grind. However, it requires a lot of patience to learn. If you get one, prepare to spend some time getting familiar with the controls.

Never saw the Cooks in person, but the photos suggest it's better built. The Dinasaw is a little lightweight in my opinion. Some of the gears are made of a plastic material, though we never had any issues with that. We did have a part that you might call the cam get wore down. Ordered a new one through Baileys and it was a different cam. Sent it back and Baileys machined it for us. Very very very happy with Baileys for doing that, but it did kind of seem kinda odd that it was a different design. 

On grinding stones, it does seem to have an odd arbor size. Don't remember off the top of my head what it is, but the selection of stones for that arbor wasn't great last time I ordered some. Dad used to do all the grinding and his opinion was that while the cyclone wheels are nice, they don't last long enough to warrant the purchase over regular stone.

I actually have one of their setters, but never used it. We were kind of particular about setting. And after setting for 20+ years with a single tooth setter with dial indicator, we really weren't convinced their design was that great. There's just too much variation in teeth (even in the same blade). Some teeth bend over like they are lead, some bend back like spring steel. And quite often you have to bend teeth back the other way, which that setter didn't do and there's no way to tell that you need to.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Tom the Sawyer

OP set the match up in this one, I haven't used either of those... no dog in this fight.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Hilltop366

rick42wood, wondering if you have ever seen this one? I have no idea how well it works but I thought it was interesting. It made and sold in Canada, would be handy not to pay exchange and duty.

https://www.vieltools.com/produit/affuteuse-de-lame-de-scie-a-ruban-viel-apex-rf-1504

farmfromkansas

Interesting video, too bad they don't speak English.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

rick42wood

I can't place it just now but I have seen this same machine under a different name.  I don't like the idea of having to buy an expensive wheel for each different blade.  It kinds of precludes sharpening other peoples blades as a sideline.
BTW, caution required using CooksCanada web site.  The prices displayed are in US dollars but it is not evident until you go to check out.
Old guy, Still learning

SawyerTed

The cost up front for CBN wheels is more than other type grinding wheels/rocks.  The longevity is greater.  In the end the difference in  cost per blade for abrasives pennies.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Unclefish

So if you where  going to spend 2300 on Dinasaw why not just buy the woodmizer BMS250 for 1800 which I have only heard how good it is. I am in same boat right now looking for a sharpener. I HAVEN'T pulled the trigger on anything yet. I have about 50 blades sitting to be sharpened. But I don't go through alot in a year. Being a hobby sawer. I would buy the manual machine but my shoulders are shot from being a Diesel mechanic and I think that repeative motion would destroy them even more.

Bruno of NH

The Woodmizer uses oil and a cbn wheel for each profile.
They do a supper job.
But I like the Dinasaw because it uses the same wheel.
That's why I'm looking in to that.
I use different profiles for what I'm cutting and the season I'm cutting it in.

Stephen1

After going through the old drag sharpener with a grinding stone that needs shaping, I would quite sawing if I had to go through all the trouble again of shaping wheels,  It needed different cams fo different profiles, I would go through 3-4 stones in a year. That alone was over $250 for stones + tax and shipping. CBN wheel $200 incuding Tax and shipping.

I would only buy a unit with a CBN grinding wheel. I am still on the same 7/39Turbo wheel after 18 months of sharpening, at least 100 sharpenings with it and still going strong.  Hands down the simplesest and best sharpening wheel out there.  I do not find the oil a major problem. I will probably switch to mineral oil next winter. I have 4 profiles and mainly am using 7/39 Turbo now. I can sharpen a 10-7-and the 7turbo and a diamond blade for the carbide blades.  and lately only been sawing with the 7turbo. I might upgrade to the 7/47 but 7/39 is working on everything I have sawn this year.
I sharpen and set a few 10's for a neighbour and another sawyer has switched to 7T so I can sharpen his blades.
Quote from: Unclefish on May 24, 2020, 06:23:40 PM
So if you where  going to spend 2300 on Dinasaw why not just buy the woodmizer BMS250 for 1800 which I have only heard how good it is. I am in same boat right now looking for a sharpener. I HAVEN'T pulled the trigger on anything yet. I have about 50 blades sitting to be sharpened. But I don't go through alot in a year. Being a hobby sawer. I would buy the manual machine but my shoulders are shot from being a Diesel mechanic and I think that repeative motion would destroy them even more.

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

barbender

I went the direction I did (Cook's Catclaw) because I wanted the versatility to be able to switch cams if I wanted to sharpen for others. After about 8-10 years, I've sharpened about 40 blades for a coworker, and just used the cam that came on the machine. I'm really not interested in sharpening for others at this point, I just want sharp blades for myself. My advice would be to go CBN, I think guys are getting better results in less time with CBN. You'll probably settle on 3 blade profiles at the most, just buy a wheel for each one.
Too many irons in the fire

SawyerTed

I was trying to refrain from pushing the Wood-Mizer BMS250 but I was looking at the website for something else and noticed the BMS250 is on sale right now.  It is about $400 less than the Dinasaw unit. $400 is close to covering 3 CBN wheels. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

redneckman

I have the Cooks.  It is built heavy.  It does a good job sharpening my blades.  I took one of their 8-degree cams and reground it to closely match a turbo 7 profile. I also did a little custom adjustment to the grind angle.   All the dry dust does make a little mess.  I would like to have one of the Woodmizer sharpeners.  That is what I would buy if doing it all over again.  

IMO, there are great things and not so great things with all of them.  The woodmizer looks to be the best to me, but it is more expensive.

YellowHammer

I've never used the Dinasaw, but have years of experience with both the drag style and the CBN style sharpeners.    Both will sharpen bands, but the CBN technology is night and day better than the older drag style.  Three times faster per band in my actual experience, much less fiddling with the setup, and no regrinding and re shaping of stones.  

Yes, the CBN wheels are more expensive, but for me, less than half the price of a box of new bands, and it will last for many, many, hundred sharpenings.  I have settled upon just a couple band profiles, so do have a few CBN wheels, but by the time I paid for all the grinding rocks for my drag sharpener, I'm not sure the cost is about break even.  Even if it wasn't, it wouldn't matter.

To me it's just the next level of band sharpening maturity.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rick42wood

Where can I get a Woodmizer 250 for $1800?  they are C$2793 on their website plus wheel, plus oil, plus shipping.
Old guy, Still learning

Bruno of NH

I don't like to get stuck using on company's bands
Because you can't get a cam or wheels for the profile.

Thank You Sponsors!