iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identifing trailer hitch

Started by FarmingSawyer, November 29, 2014, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

I'm looking at a deck-over trailer to add to my sawmill empire....... But I've never seen this style hitch before....almost wish it were a pintle instead....

It's on this, apparently 5 ton Deck Over....

How is this thing supposed to work? I woulda thought there should be a slot in the keeper plate instead of a round hole.......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thurlow

Looks..........mostly......like many gooseneck hitches, cep'tn I've never seen the 'lock plate' swung out from under the hitch.  It sits under the hitch and the hitch drops down over the (typically 2 5/16 inch) ball.  To latch it, the 'plate' is moved so that the locking pin (center left in picture) drops into the hole in the plate.  Clear as mud?????
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: thurlow on November 29, 2014, 03:43:52 PM
Looks..........mostly......like many gooseneck hitches, cep'tn I've never seen the 'lock plate' swung out from under the hitch.  It sits under the hitch and the hitch drops down over the (typically 2 5/16 inch) ball.  To latch it, the 'plate' is moved so that the locking pin (center left in picture) drops into the hole in the plate.  Clear as mud?????

AH....So.....I got it! The opposite of what I was thinking.....to me, it looks like it would be best if the plate was notched and slid under the ball and locked in place..... sorta makes sense......

What you're describing is the same, but much better....the pin keeps the plate off center, up against the neck of the ball. It actually looks like a really simple rig to hitch, and no little tonguey thing under the hitch to get caught up on the ball and not get latched in place, etc......

Now I just got to afford the thing......

My original idea was to try to swap some freshly milled lumber for part of the value, but the old fella who owns the trailer doesn't look like he has many projects left in him and with winter setting in, he looks like stoking the fire is about all he'll be up to most days. The price is good, but I think I can make it better as the deck is rotten.

And I know just the fella to cut me some new oak for it................ 8)

Magicman

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on November 29, 2014, 05:55:55 PMNow I just got to afford the thing......
It should be cheaper without that white stuff piled on top.  ::)   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

When I saw the first picture, I just thought, that's just a goose-neck.  Second picture, a strange way to mount it!  Maybe he had a low truck frame with just the ball on it? 

Maybe trade him some "firewood" - cut up your old slabs from your logs?  At least you wouldn't have to split it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Southside

That's got some home made engineering into it for sure.  I agree its a gooseneck, I would take a close look at those axles and tires before I put 10,000 lbs onto it though. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Southside logger on November 29, 2014, 09:47:37 PM
That's got some home made engineering into it for sure.  I agree its a gooseneck, I would take a close look at those axles and tires before I put 10,000 lbs onto it though.

You made me go back an look.  Guess its my slight dyslexia - It registered in my brain as 5,000 lbs (not 5 ton) and I didn't think twice about the tires and axles.  They looked to be at least 3,500 lb (7k total) trailer setups.

I agree - look closely at the tires and axles.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jcbrotz

How many lugs are on the axles? and is the former gooseneck hitch that someone welded up into a bumper hitch cut as crooked as it looks in the pic? Maybe its the angles/pics but it looks to me to be severely homemade.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Southside logger on November 29, 2014, 09:47:37 PM

I'd agree that the axles look a bit light. The old fella claimed to have used it to haul a cargo van up to Maine from FL. He put sides on the trailer and filled the empty space. Once here he used it to haul Oak Bolts with. The most he put on was 2.5 cords....so, maybe 1250bf green oak, so around 8k. He did try to put on a huge old backhoe and bottomed the springs onto the tires, just. Said he could hear the tires rubbing so he took the hoe off. I figure the backhoe to be around 11,000#?

The welds on the hitch are straight and true. If someone did do a chop and drop on a gooseneck they did a great job on it. Do they make a light duty 7k gooseneck? why bother?

Fortunately I don't think I'll be hauling 10K with it. My tractor only weighs 6K...... Worst case scenario, I buy the thing, put a new deck on it, spiff it up a bit and resell it if it won't haul what I need it too. I can't be towing too much any way.....I've only got a 1500 Suburban right now, and while it will pull a horse trailer with 2.5 cords of green maple in it, and a flat-bed with 7K of hay on it....I don't like to push it.  :D 

If this thing can get my tractor to the woods and the cedar logs out I'd be ahead of the game and in control of how and when I get my salvage job done.......

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2014, 07:27:30 PM
Quote from: FarmingSawyer on November 29, 2014, 05:55:55 PMNow I just got to afford the thing......
It should be cheaper without that white stuff piled on top.  ::)   :D

I've been looking for a trailer of similar design. I don't know about cheaper, but it would definitely be lighter without the white stuff.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

FarmingSawyer

The one thing which bothers me most about this trailer is the height...... With my big ole Case sitting up there....that's a high center of gravity..... I live in amongst 7 mountains......out West they might be called hills, but down in 'sippi they're Everests in themselves.......

Guess I'll have to find out....this thing is about $3k cheaper than the comparable 5ton utility trailers I've been seeing around here.

Thank You Sponsors!