iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer LT30, LT40, LT50 quick access drive belt tension modification.

Started by Dave Shepard, December 02, 2021, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

As most Wood-Mizer owners know, drive belt tension is critical to proper operation of the sawmill. As I've just installed a new drive belt on my mill, and it has required several adjudtments as it has broken in. This means removing six bolts and a couple of covers. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a pain when it's dark and your fingers don't work well in below freezing temps. I know belt tension can cause sawing issues, but it's just long enough between needing to make adjustments that it can bite me every few years. I think the book says to check every 40 hours, but that could be months, depending on what I'm working on at the time. The simple solution is a small hole in the belt cover. Now I can check the tension quickly, and I don't have to take the covers off unless I actually need to. 

https://youtu.be/JmLfCeyuD6A
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

You read the scale on the side of the gauge at the cover and depress 7/16". My Super is 18#@7/16". It's hard to see in the video, but the gauge has Imperial and metric markings.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Ahh, have to check my gauge, been doing it with a tape measure in one hand and the gauge in the other. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BandsawBen

Thats seems like a great idea. You can use the shroud as the gauge. I like it and will be drilling a hole.

John S

Newer models have a small access plate with two bolts for checking the tension. I still remove all six bolts and clean out the sawdust in there.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Magicman

Thanks Dave Shepard, I drilled a hole today. 

It works perfectly but I probably will now have to remove the cover more often after verifying that I am a bit slack. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Thats a simple fix!. The newer mills as stated have a access hatch built in. Shows the engineers listen to the sawyers and thier issues. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Dave Shepard

Version 2.0. I'm reminded of my mother's favorite saying "You're always doing something rash!"

I might put the piece I cut out on a hinge, but probably not. Drive belt tension isn't really a pain, but I'm sure it will get done more often now. Break-in of the new belt has required a number of adjustments, and my hands don't work well in the cold. Now I can do it all with gloves on. I was down to 11# from the 18# it was supposed to be. 

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

You could, but I still have my board return installed, which makes it a tight fit to remove the cover just by unbolting it. 

Crossroads

Great idea! Now I'll have to put the electoral tape 7/16" out from the cover. I'm a bit clumsy and struggled to hold a straight edge still while pressing the gauge 7/16". Can't walk and chew gum either 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Unclefish

PAmizerman

I did that years ago. I have a piece of masking tape wrapped around my Guage that is 7/16"
Away from the cover once inserted into the hole. No measuring tape needed.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Dan_Shade

@Dave Shepard does your access panel invite bird nests and/or fill up with dyst/bark debris? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

Thank You Sponsors!