iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 084 Chainsaw

Started by WoodHead, March 29, 2004, 09:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodHead

I am considering the purchase of a used Stihl 084 chainsaw. I will be using it on an 36" Alaskan mill for occasional sawing to make bowl turning blanks. The saw looks to be in good shape.

Can anyone share their experiences (good or bad) with this or a similar saw? Does anyone know when the 084 went out of production? It would give me an idea on parts availablity, in case I need something.

Thanks

oldsaw-addict

Ask Kevin about this issue he know more than I about them. I do know the stihl 084 and 088 are pretty close in classes, in fact the 088 replaced the 084 some time in the mid to late 90s its a second to none saw for milling. Just make sure the piston and cylinder arent scored and try it out on a chunk of wood somewhere to make sure it has the power its supposed to have. As far as the saws performance goes I think I've heard the 084 has more torque than an 088 does but I'm not sure. Theyre very similar in appearance and engine size. Stihl replaced the 084 and 064 with the newer 066 and 088 models for whatever reason. Still the 084 is a great perfomer, it should have soemwhere in the range of 8.5-9 HP if the muffler is opened up right. Stihls have a great rep as quality saws in the forest so dont be worried about it failing you in the millling role.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Kevin

I'm not sure but they may have disappeared around 2000.
They might have stopped making them around 1995.
They were a well liked saw.
Parts may be easier to get in Canada than the U.S. , your local dealer should be able to order the parts.

Stan

They were introduced in 1993, and had the same size engine (121cc) as the later 088. That's about all I can find out for info.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Preston

The 084 was a good saw I used it in Alaska for ripping big spruce and cedar 14'! We used a 60" bar cannon and it got the job done! Later we had bought a 088 and it too was a good saw! My experience with both saws have been good keep a good sharp chain and we ripped with it all day long! As far as checking the saw out yeah if you gut the muffler and we always put what they call a maxiflow filter system on it and they were both screamers! Good saws alot of power! That was back in 1998 when I used them!
Preston
Preston

WoodHead

Thanks for the feedback.

Preston, you mentioned about "gutting" the muffler. I have read similar comments on other threads. Just wondering what is meant by it and how it can be modified. Do people modify the mufflers to reduce back pressure on the exhaust? Does this provide more power? If it does, do you have to make any other modifications to the saw and/or fuel mixture to make sure the engine is not harmed?

You also mentioned a maxi-flow filter. I assume that it helps deliver more air to the engine, maybe in combination with the more open exhaust. Was this filter something available from Stihl/another supplier, as an off the shelf item?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. This is a great site for information exchange.

oldsaw-addict

"gutting" a muffler is basically removing the baffles and sometimes adding additional holes in the front of it to allow the engine to breather better, and run cooler. If yoou do modify a muffler you have to adjust the high speed needle on the carb a little bit richer so the saw doesnt have a lean seizure or anything to that effect. The Maxiflow air filters are a higher performance air filter that replaces the stock filter system and cover for it. As far as I know the gains in HP with a gutted muffler and the Maxiflow air filter would put the saw in the range of around 9-9.5HP or more. You could also have a saw builder modify your muffler for you if you want, Dozer Dan is a top notch saw builder and will do the work for you. If you send him the whole saw and the right amount of $ he'll modify the saw even more than you probably could and give you a grade A saw with more power than a 454 V8. Trust me Dan is good, if you look around some you will find posts about PP7900 Dolmar saws that will outcut a stihl 044 and a husky 372. This is because Dan worked on the Dolmar and gave it the power to do what it does.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Preston

I think oldsaw pretty much covered it very very well said oldsaw! I really personaly can't stand to run a stock plugged up saw of any sort! But very well said!! I think he covered it all Woodhead!
Preston
Preston

Thank You Sponsors!